1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL and military jingoism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I didn't read the link. I am not a right wing wacko. Neither is my bear. I get annoyed when people take cheap political shots - from either party.

Your link is unrelated to the thread, and you know that, but you don't care.

The bear doesn't have one fucking thing to do with politics. It's pink, it's called a Care Bear, and it's holding a weapon. I found it funny. It's not some sort of stupid statement.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And it has heart feet!

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How do you know what the line is between "trivializing" the military to sell the NFL and simply honoring the military?

The NFL doesn't really need any help to sell itself. Look at the ratings for the Super Bowl.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Funny how the same people who complain that there are a few tributes to the military during the Super Bowl don't seem to mind the endless, inane commercials. How many times does a guy have to get hit in the crotch with something (like Pepsi cans)?

But don't salute the flag or honor the military. That's "trivial."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That fucking football game is also the single biggest platform that exists in American culture. Using 0.5 percent of it or however much it is for this purpose is hardly excessive.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We'd just prefer to be left out of your arguments, thank you very much.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A true patriot doesn't cheapen his patriotism by using it as a prop during a sporting event.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We're not wrapping ourselves in the flag to sell music. No, not at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In all seriousness, what does this mean?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to not be used as a prop to make people feel better about themselves. Oh, and fuck Toby Keith.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are you saying people shouldn't arbitrarily mention military members in support of their arguments?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ted Nugent had it fucking right!

Draft saved Draft deleted