1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL and military jingoism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 8, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Play "Cat Scratch Fever"!

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Medal of Honor was NOT always previously presented to men who died in combat. There were and are many living winners. Sgt. York came home from his war. The standard is saving lives of others at extreme risk of one's own life. If Fox or NFL said that, they were wrong.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-09-10-medal-of-honor-winner_N.htm

Looks like he was the first survivor from Afghanistan or Iraq. So, either my bad or fox's, but I sure don't remember that being the qualifier listed.

EDIT: Went to YouTube and see that he was identified as the first survivor to win since the Vietnam War. Makes more sense now. Still was cool that the guy got to take his accolades in front of the nation.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

If next year's Super Bowl doesn't feature Ted Nugent pulling out a bow and arrow and shooting a giant inflatable Saddam Hussein, then the terrorists have won.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There are currently 85 living Medal of Honor winners. Giunta was first surviving winner from Afghanistan.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a veteran and staunch nationalist, I'm all for it. It gives recognition to the members of the military, and when they flash to the bases, it gives their family back home a glimpse of their loved one who is away serving our country.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not Dick, nor do I play him on TV, but I recall being, in retrospect, offended by how the Gulf War was packaged as a blockbuster movie made for viewing at prime time, right down to Desert Storm trading cards.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Some right wing wackos criticized his being awarded the Medal of Honor, because he did it saving lives, not killing people.

http://www.afa.net/Blogs/BlogPost.aspx?id=2147500421

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Heaven forbid a solider would risk his life to save others. It's the Medal of Honor, not the Medal of Death.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Our Lifestyle columnist at the time actually did a piece that started with he and his teenage son sitting down in front of the TV . . . "to watch the war."

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Of course you came here to contribute your usual "right wing wackos" post. This thread was doing just fine without it. I don't even understand what point you are trying to make as it relates to the subject matter.

Someone could start a thread about irritable bowel syndrome and you would somehow find a link suggesting John McCain is anti-shit. Jesus.

Draft saved Draft deleted