1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2017 off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 24, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Which teams do you think would be temped to trade for him?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They should have pretended he was in competition to be the starter, than multiple teams would have fallen for it.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I have no idea. The question was asked why anyone would make an offer for Romo when they know he won't be competing for Dallas' starting job.

OOP mentioned one reason -- a team that wants him might be afraid of another team trading for him. I then added that any team that wants him might want to make a deal to avoid the risk that Romo, if released, might decide to sign with another team. I never said nor implied that I know which teams (if any) would do that.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

There are very few teams who are good and need a QB. If you're one of those teams it makes sense to wait until the Cowboys release him.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you say so. All I'm doing is telling you why teams might consider a trade. And it doesn't take a ton of teams to create a market for someone -- just more than one.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then what happens?

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I understand why a team desperate enough would trade for Romo, just to be sure to get him.

But what's in it for the Cowboys? You get a middling draft pick and $20M in dead cap money. No bueno.

When your defense looks like Swiss cheese, you can make better use of that dead money instead plugging some holes with journeymen.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

He takes up just under $25m in cap space if they keep him...so trading him and getting a just-under-$20m cap hit is a $5m net gain for Dallas (all numbers via overthecap.com).
    If they want to maximize cap space this year, their best option, though, is to designate him as a post-June-1 cut, which would save them $14m this year, but also spread his hit onto next year's cap. When building around young stars, I think there's at least some argument for taking all the hit this year, but it's clearly a debatable notion.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Le'Veon Bell undergoes surgery to repair core muscle injury

Le'Veon Bell was reportedly going to avoid surgery to repair the injury that knocked him out of the AFC Championship Game, but apparently that changed as he had the procedure this morning. That seems wise, to address the problem now, when there is plenty of time to recover and get in shape for the season.

I'm still surprised the Steelers are working on a long-term deal. Between the injury history and drug suspensions, there is a lot of risk involved with Bell.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

While all the talk is of a "long term" deal, I kind of wonder how much of the money will be guaranteed.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point. Probably not much given that he still has to prove he can get through a season without getting hurt and/or suspended.

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Really? Have you said this before?

Also, still waiting for that Thursday Romo release to be pushed through. That paperwork must be really complicated!

Draft saved Draft deleted