1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2017 off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 24, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think the plan in Cleveland is to give Kessler first shot. They"re taking Garrett if they stick at No. 1.

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I think the plan in Cleveland is to suck.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Smokin' Jay waits in the wings.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My guess is that we have zero insight to what the Browns are doing. You certainly can't go by NFL insiders like Schefter or Mort. We've been told that Romo would be traded. We've been told that Romo would be cut. Nobody knows what is going on with these teams.

da man likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, the Romo story is hilarious. We've heard breathless exclusive definitive reports saying contradictory things. I'm sure when something happens someone will crow that they were right, but it sure feels like everyone is just throwing darts.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Think we're going to learn that the Romo fiasco is a Stephen vs. Jerry power play. Stephen knows it makes the most sense financially and otherwise to cut Romo and move on. Jerry wants to wheel and deal and keep the circus shambling along.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

When everyone knows they have no plans of letting him compete for the job, why would anyone offer anything?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess it depends how badly a given team wants him as their quarterback. There is always the possibility that the Cowboys keep him, or more likely, the threat that they could trade him elsewhere. Obviously, the situation limits his trade value, but I can see why he might have a little.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or that if he becomes a free agent, you end up getting outbid or he decides to sign somewhere else.

JC likes this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He has 3 years left on his contract. Dallas keeping him makes less sense than letting everyone know they have no plans to play him.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

???

I was answering the question about why a team might be tempted to trade for Romo when they know the Cowboys won't keep him.

JC likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because you think it may be cheaper to give up a late pick than risk losing him.

Draft saved Draft deleted