1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2016-17 playoffs running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 2, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Team Odds
    New England Patriots 17/10
    Dallas Cowboys 15/4
    Pittsburgh Steelers 9/1
    Kansas City Chiefs 9/1
    Atlanta Falcons 19/2
    Green Bay Packers 10/1
    Seattle Seahawks 14/1
    New York Giants 18/1
    Oakland Raiders 100/1
    Houston Texans 100/1
    Miami Dolphins 100/1
    Detroit Lions 100/1

Loving the Packers at 10-1 although not loving their first-round matchup.

Regarding this week's games, it sounds like it might be Brock Osweiler vs. Connor Cook (and the Raiders might sign Garrett Gilbert as an emergency backup).

Seems like Steelers and Seahawks are in good shape this weekend, Texans are probably OK because of the Raiders' QB situation, and Giants-Packers should be the best matchup of the weekend.

Can anyone challenge the Pats in the AFC, or do they mostly just have to worry about another Giants wild-card team getting hot?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Possibly the Steelers could win at Foxboro because they can score with the Pats. But it's just a possibility, and not as good a one as the Steelers losing in Kansas City before that.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Steelers are the only team with a shot against NE. Oakland with Carr MAY have at least made it interesting. Houston and Miami, uh, no. As has been mentioned before, the Hoodie has zero fear of Alex Smith, though baby puncher Tyreek Hill gives the Chiefs an intangible that could make that game fun, should it happen.

Felt pretty strongly that Dallas would cruise in the NFC for a long time, but Green Bay, the Giants and Atlanta all are capable of winning at Jerry World. Don't think Seattle or Detroit is, though.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As good as the Pats have looked, don't you have to put money down on the Giants just because?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if they lost to the Dolphins.

The Steelers blew the Chiefs out earlier this season, but that was in Pittsburgh and it was a stinker that just got away from Kansas City early. Assuming Pittsburgh gets that far, a divisional round game in KC should be a great one.

The Steelers looked like they could hang with the Patriots the first time and that was the game Roethlisberger missed, but even without Gronkowski, New England is playing better now. Pittsburgh has the firepower and more importantly, the ground game to control the ball against just about anybody, but the real difference is consistency in execution. Belichick's teams tend to avoid the killer mistakes. More often than not, that has been the difference in Pittsburgh's past failures against New England in the playoffs.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Without Carr the Raiders have no shot.

So the next best thing I'd like to see is something like Patriots over Lions.

Warriors and Cavs have won the last 2 NBA titles. Kings have hoisted the Cup, twice. Royals and Cubs won the last 2 World Series.

Would be fun to see the Lions make it to the big game.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just like baseball season ... as long as it's not Patriots-Packers, I'm good. (The baseball equivalent would have been a Red Sox-Cubs world series. There are way, way too many people who root for both the Packers and Cubs. I hope they all have a rotten 2o17).

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If Green Bay wins against the Giants, they'll win the NFC. Otherwise, Seattle will somehow make it.

They'll all lose to New England.

9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I'd say the Cowboys are cursed and have no prayer. But something is different with them this year.

Probably just Jerry Jones having his meddling curtailed, although he can still stir the media pot to his team's detriment.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If the Chiefs get to the Super Bowl, Hill is going to be the reason, which makes it difficult to even enjoy.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Four coaches have led a team to eight consecutive playoff appearances:

Tom Landry
    Chuck Noll
    Bill Belichick
    Mike McCarthy

This message endorsed by @exmediahack

Gutter and I Should Coco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted