1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2016-17 coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why is McDaniel considered rehabilitated but not Spagnuolo?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a good question.

Personally I look at McDaniels and see the big old oh-fer by Belichick assistants who become head coaches.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

He's rehabilitated because he's on television every week on the sidelines of the most successful franchise in football. Talking to one of the best QBs of all-time in every shot.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I thought Shefter had a different email but he's confirmimg what we all suspect. Now watch Shanahan turn them down

LongTimeListener likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

You would think Jed wouldn't tip his hand like that unless he had it locked down.

But then you think, it's Jed.

Spartan Squad and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

KNBR is reading a report from Mike Silver that it is a done deal in all but the official announcement. Shanahan multi-year deal and he will help pick the GM. Even when Jed gets the coach right, he still F's this up. Hire the GM first. Make that a priority. Niners were the last team to pick a coach already, why not wait three weeks until after the Super Bowl and get your GM first.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jed's infamous for tipping off national media over the locals. And he probably wonders why there's no love for him among the local writers.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would love it if Shanahan turned them down.......then Jed calls Cable, and Cable tells him "uh........go fuck yourself."

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bill O'Brien's been pretty successful.

10. Spartan Squad

I guess Denise York called Cable and did a second interview for like an hour. Afterwards he pulled his name from consideration and with him gone, the two Seattle guys up for the GM job pulled out too. Didn't want to come without Cable. Never mind the Bay Area football fans would have rioted if Cable returned.

11. LongTimeListener

That's right. I was going off my impressions from years back. So that's one.

12. LongTimeListener

It sure sounds like it's a done deal with Shanahan, and once you get to that point a coach would be risking his rep by backing out. Shanahan's agent is Bob Lamonte, who gets along well with the 49ers and who is usually pretty good at working the "unofficial" deals. So I'd say this one is happening.

Damn. I really wanted Jed and Paraag to be stranded.

On the bright side, Kyle's papa is the most notorious leaker in recent NFL history and has plenty of friends already in Bay Area media. If shit's going wrong in the front office, we'll know about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted