1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFHS Rule Books

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newinthefield, Oct 7, 2010.

1. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

Does anyone order the rule books from the NFHS? If so, are they actually helpful or do you barely open the cover? Also, how often do you buy new ones?

Thanks.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rules change every year. I would imagine it would be a good reference point for writers (and coaches, frankly) who think the rules they see on TV on Saturday and Sunday apply to games on Friday nights when they don't.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

If it's something confusing or controversial that's worth writing about, I'll just ask the officials and coaches involved to explain their thoughts after the game. Not all, but most officials, are happy to clarify.

And yes, plenty of fans and coaches think college rules apply on Friday nights, especially the loud assistants, who will scream bloody murder over something completely legal.

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

My dad has officiated a state title game in Alabama. (6A - no less) So, I just call him. I generally have a question every Friday night.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I had one ref tell me that NFHS rules are more similar to the NFL than the NFHS to College. I won't pretend to know.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You'd also need to know your state's exceptions to the rules. And they all have 'em.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

honestly, the one I use the most is the case book. The rules are fine, but you need to see situations and how to apply the rules.

and yes, coaches are sometimes clueless on the differences between college and high school. Though, when we explain it to them, they're usually ok.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Of course, in Massachusetts and Texas, football is played with NCAA rules and in Mass. based is played with the MLB (The Sporting News) rules, with modifications.

Draft saved Draft deleted