1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nfc-afc championship games thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 18, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm only a Lions fan in the sense that I am from Detroit and they are the home team. I like to use that as a line when someone complains about how bad the Jets or Vikings or some other not bad team is doing. BUt really, if the Lions lost every game next year I would not care. I never get dissapointed when they lose. I am just so used to it now. It's been like 12 years since their last winning season. I was 13 then. My entire adult life, all I have known is losing.

And also, yes the "ratard" reference was from the hangover and I do dislike the NBA.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not a Jets fan, but I love this Jets team.

There's something very refreshing about seeing a team that will do anything for its coach and a coach who brilliantly makes himself the story so the focus is on him and not the players.

Obviously, the foot story wasn't intentional, but the "It's personal" stuff is brilliant.

I love a team with a personality, because most of them don't have one.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I've been surprised by how reigned in the Jets and Ryan have been so far. I guess the other shoe still has to drop.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ryan has said he has great respect for the Steelers, nothing "personal" like the Belichick/Brady BS...no trash talk coming this week.

And I assume you meant "reined in"

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ryan is going to prove to be a windfall for the Jets. The players love him and the free agents are going to want to play for him.

A couple days ago a couple of the Giants players were going on and on about how they wish Coughlin was more like Ryan.

I think he's a great motivator and a great coach. I wish there were more like him.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It's been a great postseason, and with TV ratings to match. But one of the best ever?

The only real upsets were Seattle over New Orleans (mitigated by the fact that Seattle was playing at home) and the Jets over the Patriots. The Ravens beating the Chiefs, the Jets beating the Colts and the Packers beating the Eagles and Falcons were hardly major upsets. Obviously no one thought the Packers would beat the Falcons by 4 TDs. But the Falcons were favored by less than a FG, IIRC.

And while Wild Card weekend was laden with drama, the Divisional Playoffs were far less dramatic. The Packers and Bears both won in blowouts. Jets-Patriots, while a big upset, was not that dramatic. Only Ravens-Steelers had a dramatic finish.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As opposed to JC length shite. I have no clue why you always drag me into threads I wasn't participating on. Stop obsessing over me. I barely look at you, and try not to respond, unless I happen to see those obsessive posts.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think last week was all about deflecting attention from Pats blow out in regular season.

No need to do that this week coming off big victory combined with win in regular season vs Steelers.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't flatter yourself, you are the only comparable when someone rambles on for 5000 words.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Al needs to do more press conferences.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2011/01/18/jackson-cable-highlights-part-i/
    http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2011/01/18/jackson-davis-highlights-part-ii/
    http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2011/01/18/jackson-davis-highlights-part-iii/

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ahh - lighten up ragu. I thought what jc wrote was funny. Your reputation as a prolific writer proceeds you. Because you've taken the time to write I always make it a point to read your thoughts. You work is always well thought out and your arguments well reasoned. There are times when your posts are long, but for the reader willing to invest the time , they gain a lot. I envy your breath of knowledge - from economics to NFL football . I am glad that you are willing to impart some of that knowledge on the rest of us. Between monitoring Anything Goes board, holding down a job and writing 12- 15 twenty-seven paragraph posts a day I marvel that you can find the time. Son, we live in a world that wants to cut corners at every turn, but those turns come at a cost. If you are not going to show everyone the right way who's gonna do it? I'm sure that you have a greater responsibility than I could possibly fathom but please don't change your posting style because of a few board malcontents. You have the luxury of knowing that not all know as much as you - tragic as it is. You probably don't want the truth because deep down you question the time you put into your posts. We all throw around words and phrases like effort attention to detail and perfection. We use these words as the backbone of a life but rarely do we live up to them. You not only use them, you live them daily. Enough said but don't change what you do and thanks for all of your efforts.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boom, I was going to let it go. Last I'll say about it; I promise. My skin is thick when it comes to this place; I think you realize that.

The thing for me is, I personally find it funny once. It's annoying when the same two or three people do it over and over again. It's especially annoying when two or three people who have made their dislike of me evident, add their snarkiness to it. I don't typically respond to you that way when you do it over and over again, because you don't have a history of posting nasty things whenever you disagree with me. When the guy who has a history of taking unsolicited shots and throws in the "shite" thing b/c he's the bitter / angry message board guy did it, I reacted. I wasn't on the thread. I just happened to scroll through and see it. I should have just ignored it. I didn't. But let JC carry on. He / she is who he is.

And Boom, I write stream of consciousness on here. I don't edit myself. Editing myself would take me more time than to write my 'shite.' Writing quickly has always come easily to me. I don't need much time to write those long posts. I write as quickly as I can think. Always have. It leads to many sloppy posts and it's probably a mistake. But it's a message board. No one, including JC, has to pay attention to me. I don't post nearly as much as you said. Especially lately. I have been busy. But I keep the board up a lot while I am working and post when I can. The last few days, I have had more time, even though I am sitting in the stuffiest office you can imagine at he moment with a small amount of work in front of me.

As you know, I don't share a lot about myself on here, but there are quite a few people who know who I am and what I do. So I'll do it once and for all. For everyone. As to what you said: My main work is publishing-related (custom publishing) and it is varied. I am two steps removed from journalism now, and I don't like some aspects of what I do, but I am entrepreneurial by nature and I earn more this way. I work for quite a few football organizations and I think I know the game pretty well. I enjoy that work a lot. I also have a number of friends (my best friends, actually) who played at a high level and a few who coach now. So I get a lot from them. I try not to post too much about football, though, because of the potential to get myself into trouble. I feel comfy posting about certain things, though.

I also have an extensive econ background, including my education. Mostly micro-economics actually, not the macro things I post about, even though much of my current work requires me to stay abreast of macro trends. I know financial work makes no sense with the football and the publishing, but I have always gotten bored easily and like mixing things up. I need those challenges and I also like to slide into places where I have the best chances to find work / earn the most.

At the moment, a major client is an investment bank--it became a full-time job for a few months. It's more restrictive than the work I have done for them in the past and required me to mostly work on site. It also created conflicts of interest for the first time. As a side gig, I consult the editorial board & report and write for a well-known financial publication. They keep me aboard because of my economics background and my way of thinking, which challenges their editorial board writers. I also trade currencies / commodities on the side, as anyone could have guessed. The work I am doing at the moment created a conflict, so I took a hiatus from both those things. I will be back to them soon, thankfully. And I will continue with a small custom-publishing business that has an odd clientele -- a mix of sports organizations and financial institutions, and a few other clients mixed in when the work falls into my lap.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but what the hell. Now JC has a bit more ammo for the snark, at least.

If anyone wants to know who I am, for once and for all, or what my company is, feel free to PM me. Even if it's just because you hate my posts on here and want to take shots at me.

Edit: Apologies to JC, who tells me the "shite" thing wasn't meant to be directed at me.

Draft saved Draft deleted