1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next year's Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jul 30, 2007.

?

Which of these players would you want to see get voted into Cooperstown next year (max. 5 players)?

1. Bert Blyleven

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Dave Concepcion

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Andre Dawson

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Rich "Goose" Gossage

74 vote(s)
    73.3%
  5. Tommy John

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  6. Don Mattingly

17 vote(s)
    16.8%
  7. Mark McGwire

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Jack Morris

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  9. Robb Nen

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Tim Raines

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  11. Jim Rice

38 vote(s)
    37.6%
  12. Lee Smith

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  13. Alan Trammell

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  14. No one

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd put Dr. Frank Jobe and Tommy John's ligament in, along with nachos, those inflatible things people bang together and the group that originated Rotisserie Baseball.

2. 71-91's a pretty shitty record anyway you slice it.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You're forgetting the wave.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Now we get into comparing eras.

And that's why McGriff's numbers raise no eyebrows. But was Dawson an all-timer to people who don't support the Expos or Cubs? I don't know . . . . there are so many players who sustain a very high level for a decade, but who are questionable Hall of Famers. Based on the excesses of the current era, do you put in Manny Ramirez? Jim Thome? Frank Thomas?

In any event, I stand corrected; I really thought Bagwell's numbers were superior to Dawson's, but that is not the case. Nice to see the Cubbie guys showing up to throw down for Dawson, of course. Years ago, I would have thrown down for Steve Garvey in a similar fashion.

And I would see your Dawson and raise you a Gil Hodges.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Manny Ramirez doesn't get in they should close the place down.

6. I think Dawson's defense helps get him in. The 8 Gold Gloves and a WICKED arm in right field.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

First ballot. Considered one of the best pure right-handed hitters ever, and never a whisper of steroid use.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's enough to do it for me. Unless, he's mentioned in Conseco's third book, that is.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Fair enough. But for Ramirez, you have to mention the lack of 'roids and the purity of his swing. Because the numbers, while excellent, simply fit right in with the best players of the last decade.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

For those who say his attitude will keep him out: Find another reason. When someone is as dominant as Ramirez was from 1995 through ... well, now, there's no way he's kept out of the Hall. He'll end up with at least 570 home runs and 1,850 RBIs. Nothing short of a murder -- or betting on baseball -- will keep him out.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And that's the greatness of Hall of Fame voting — the backlog is always there, somehow even for a second baseman with a career .300 average, 2,724 hits, 210 HR, 508 2B, 1,508 R, 1,134 RBI, 474 stolen bases and 10 gold gloves.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thomas should be a lock...definitely ahead of McGriff and Bagwell. Two MVP awards, one second place. He has 503 home runs and he isn't quite done adding to that total yet, with a .303 career batting average and .422 on-base percentage. Dominant stretch from 1991-2000, with a couple more big years in 2003 and 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted