1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next year's Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jul 30, 2007.

?

Which of these players would you want to see get voted into Cooperstown next year (max. 5 players)?

1. Bert Blyleven

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Dave Concepcion

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Andre Dawson

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Rich "Goose" Gossage

74 vote(s)
    73.3%
  5. Tommy John

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  6. Don Mattingly

17 vote(s)
    16.8%
  7. Mark McGwire

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Jack Morris

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  9. Robb Nen

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Tim Raines

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  11. Jim Rice

38 vote(s)
    37.6%
  12. Lee Smith

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  13. Alan Trammell

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  14. No one

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Alomar nuked his first-ballot chances by completely falling apart at age 34. But he should get in quicker than Sandberg did.

Not to agree with Joe Morgan or anything, but I still don't get Sandberg in the Hall.

2. Nope.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

McGriff? Isn't he the definition of the Hall of Very Good.
    Would he be the first Hall of Famer ever traded for a player to be named later?

He's 39th on the RBI list, now and by the time he get's on his 2nd or 3rd ballot he'll be in the low 40s

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You do realize that Cadet will now kill you, right?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Probably should have, but it ended up going to Tejada.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Larry Walker? I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the Canadian baseball hall of fame.

Carry on.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I would never have considered Raines a HOFer until this thread. It has changed my perception a lot and I'm now leaning to yes on him. As far as Sandberg, I got into the biggest baseball argument I've ever been apart of when my friend from Chicago (2 days before Sandberg's induction) said he was the best 2nd baseman of all-time. I'm pretty sure Rogers Hornsby rolled over in his grave.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

McGriff's not a lock because of the fickle quality of the voters. Which is a shame, because only two eligible players with more RBIs are not in the HOF (Harold Baines and Andre Dawson) and at least 40 with few RBIs are in. With his 493 homers, that ought to be enough.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Grace and Walker, no way. Plenty about them says "Dude I'd like to have on my team." Nothing about them says "All-time great of the game, stands up with the immortals and is thus a hall of Famer."

McGriff . . . maybe. Bagwell has a good shot; in his prime he was the best mix of speed and power at his position. Dawson gets a lot of sentiment for the same reason Grace does, and that's the uniform he wore for most of his career. Very good player, not a baseball great. Hey, I'm a Steve Garvey fan and I would like to see Kirk Gibson get some love, but neither is getting in.

Blyleven's numbers, compared to some dudes who are in, say "Hall of Fame." But he's another one who was quite good for a long time, excellent in stretches, but "Hall of Fame"?

10. True, that one should've gone to A-Rod.

Others in the 300-300-2000 group: Bonds, Mays and Steve Finley. I was shocked to see Finley there.

How does Bagwell have more of a chance than Dawson?

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

So he didn't win it in 2003 with the 71-91 (4th in AL West) Texas Rangers?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

With 2,490 hits, 493 home runs, 1,550 RBIs -- not to mention 15 straight 80-RBI seasons, 16 consecutive 20-plus home run seasons, seven 30-plus home run years and five All-Star appearances and a ring should get a player into the Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted