1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next year's Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jul 30, 2007.

?

Which of these players would you want to see get voted into Cooperstown next year (max. 5 players)?

1. Bert Blyleven

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Dave Concepcion

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Andre Dawson

46 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Rich "Goose" Gossage

74 vote(s)
    73.3%
  5. Tommy John

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  6. Don Mattingly

17 vote(s)
    16.8%
  7. Mark McGwire

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Jack Morris

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  9. Robb Nen

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Tim Raines

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  11. Jim Rice

38 vote(s)
    37.6%
  12. Lee Smith

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  13. Alan Trammell

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  14. No one

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Voted for Blyleven, Gossage and Morris.

Here's first-year eligible players:

2008: Brady Anderson, Andy Benes, Delino DeShields, Shawon Dunston, Chuck Finley, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Chuck Knoblauch, Mike Morgan, Robb Nen, Tim Raines, Greg Swindell, Randy Velarde, Mark Wohlers (HOF Weekend will be July 25-28, with Induction Ceremonies on Sunday, July 27)

2009: Steve Avery, Jay Bell, John Burkett, David Cone, Mike Bordick, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Denny Neagle, Dean Palmer, Dan Plesac, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn, Matt Williams, Mike Williams (HOF Weekend will be July 24-27, with Induction Ceremonies on Sunday, July 26)

2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Rod Beck, Ellis Burks, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Shane Reynolds, Robin Ventura, Todd Zeile (HOF Weekend will be July 23-26, with Induction Ceremonies on Sunday, July 25)

2011: Wilson Alvarez, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Mike Hampton, Al Leiter, Tino Martinez, Raul Mondesi, Hideo Nomo, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Benito Santiago, Ugueth Urbina, Larry Walker

2012: Bill Mueller, Tim Salmon, Tim Worrell

I don't think Ugueth Urbina will be available for HOF ceremonies in 2011 (unless he gets time off for good behavior :D ).

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Mattingly? What, just because he played for the Yankees? I don't get what rationale there is for voting him in.

Hank, you left this one off:

2036: Julio Franco :D

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Didn't A-Rod do it 3 or 4 years ago?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Makes sense to vote him in on his 100th birthday.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does it overshadow the fact that Ozzie Smith (.303, 0 HR, 75 RBI, 104 R, 43 SB, 89 BB/36 K, .392 OBP) deserved the award over him and that Tony Gwynn (.370 with 119 runs, 218 hits, 56 XBH, 56 SBs, 82 BB/35 K and a .447 OBP) was a more deserving candidate from a last-place team?

FWIW, I think I'd vote for Dawson. But I don't think he should have been the 1987 MVP.

7. I'm not a Yankees fan by any means. The guy was brilliant there for several years - on par with Gwynn and Sandberg - before suffering an injury. I know it's probably not enough to get him in, that's why I wrote "sentimental."

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, I'll confess my ignorance. I didn't realize how long his career was. Still just never feel like he was held in that class. To play as long as he did and not approach 3,000 hits as a leadoff hitter has to hurt his case.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only first-ballot locks are Rickey Henderson in 2009 and Fred McGriff in 2009. I think Raines has a shot next year, Grace in 2009 and Bagwell and possbily Walker in 2011. These are the years for Blyleven, Dawson and Rice.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Roberto Alomar is a good possibility. I don't know if McGriff is a HOF lock (let alone a first ballot lock).

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fred McGriff a lock? A lock to fall far short in his first 15 years on the ballot.

Ditto for Grace and Walker.

Those guys wouldn't even be first-ballot inductees into the Hall of the Very Good.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Just voting off the top of my head - Rice, Goose, Morris.

I didn't really give much thought about Raines, but maybe I should. I'm leaning toward Dawson's inclusion and loved him as a player.

I just always felt like Rice was a dominant hitter during his prime, with numbers that may not look like much today, but he led the league in HR three times and finished in top ten four other times, while finishing with a career .298 average. But I can see the argument that he didn't do enough to warrant entering the hall - like i said I was just going off the top of my head.

I haven't fallen into the Blyleven corner just yet. His big K totals notwithstanding, I just don't remember him as a dominant player. I remember him giving up a lot of homers, though. Sorry...

Draft saved Draft deleted