1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next year, maybe 10 on postgame gig?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Feb 2, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Let's see, and I was bad in math, but wasn't there six talking heads on the NBC postgame Super Bowl show?
    I mean, do we increase it to 10 next year, a dozen the following year, etc.?
    Is this many absolutely necessary?
    Thoughts?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Two or three in the studio, two people in the booth, two on the sidelines.

Ya done.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand why you want to get as many NBC personalities on to pump the Today show, MSNBC, CNBC, what I don't get is why you need to bring on every coach, exec or play not currently tied down. It's not like NBC has an open roster spot for their Sunday Night Football cast.
    Anyone know what the business relationship between SI and NBC is now? I figure money is changing hands, but I can't tell who is getting what.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

good question, Dan.
    maybe there's something there, i don't know.
    but i think there's too much overload there, trying to get that many different folks to expound on what happened in the game or their thoughts on strategy, turning points, etc. by the time Costas got through going down the line, asking each one what they thought, I wanted to say, "huh?" and not much of it was all that enlightening or revealing.

5. DanOregon

What's funny is the Naked Gun got a big laugh when they put seven announcers in a broadcast booth 20 years ago.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who has the Super Bowl next year, but I'm guessing this one will be the last one for a while that gets blown out so big during the pre-game.

Most of those $3M 30-second spots were sold before the bottom came out of the economy. Those spots will be a much harder sell this time next year. Throw in a full year of networks losing money in general.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The pre- and post-game clusterfucks are totally useless to begin with.

8. DanOregon

The networks will sell the spots for a modest increase over this year. They have to. What we'll see more of is the network throwing in additional spots, product placements, set displays, shout-outs, on-screen graphics etc. for that same single spot buy.
    The way NBC whored itself out to Pepsi and Gatorade and various movie studios was pretty sad.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Spnited......I concur. As far as the pregame crap is concerned, I have made it a habit to tune in for the Super Bowl right at kickoff time. All of those useless hours I could have spent yesterday with the pregame hoopla, I used to do some research for some stories and line up things to do this week. Anything but dealing with the SB buildup/hype.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're bang-on about the whoring process. We haven't seen anything yet. But the marketplace will set the price of spots, and the marketplace ain't looking good.

(CBS gets the big game next year and Fox in 2011.)

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I counted 5 talking heads and 1 mute to the far left.

12. DanOregon

Expect the CSI crews to examine evidence with lines like, "looks like chip crumbs, Doritos actually." Barney signs up with E-Harmony on HIMYM, and the obivious "now that's a Cold Case i'm looking forward to finishing off (Bud ad).

And to think I always laughed when shows and movies used generic brands in their plots.

Draft saved Draft deleted