1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up on the clock for lawsuits against the NCAA: Transfer rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A former Weber State football player is challenging the NCAA rules on making players sit out a year. His coach had left the program, and, while he had his scholarship renewed for one year, he was told he should transfer after that to another school.

The other schools told him they were interested, but only if he had two years of eligibility. The guy asked the NCAA for a waiver, and was denied.

Former Weber State football player Devin Pugh challenges NCAA transfer rule

Good for him. After all, if coaches can leave teams, and schools can leave conferences for better situations. So why not the players? After all, they're students just participating in an extracurricular activity, aren't they?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't know. I can't disagree on the principle, but that's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. Kids would be bolting left and right if there ws no penalty. Would seem more likely to have some penalty for the coaches, but that would be a tough sell, too. Will be interested to see what happens.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Seems to me they could add some kind of common sense hardship clause but I'm certain that would be subjective and could cause more trouble than they feel it's worth.

Last thing they need is open season in transfers if you ask me. Could take recruiting to new lows if they're going after kids playing for other teams, kids playing well for a bottom feeder, etc.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Common sense!!!! :) But yes, there should be more latitude if coaches can just jump ship whenever they get an offer.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Regular students can't transfer whenever they want, even though faculty members can leave whenever they want.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I hope the NCAA burns to the ground. The transfer rule is awful, but it is about the fifth most egregious way the NCAA fucks athletes.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oregon openly recruited the starting quarterback at another university and did so with no penalty or even any hard discussion of what they did.

So, yeah, recruiting of college athletes would be a huge thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted