1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up, Kansas City

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Sep 8, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/Headlines/%E2%80%98kansas-city-star%E2%80%99-makes-third-round-of-layoffs-since-january-62545-.aspx

No word yet on if any are in sports. Still stinks.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

“The Star won't die, but this recession will."

Bwahahaha. Still doesn't mean newspapers will come back. I love these publishers who continue to blame the recession and not pay attention to the readers' shifting allegiances for how they get their news.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Buggy whips are coming back someday too.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm teaching this Intro to Mass Comm class and can't help but feel like I'm talking about ancient history when describing newspapers to all of these 18-year-olds who only get their news and info online or wirelessly, who use smartphones and ipads. Then I go back to the newsroom and observe editors and reporters who still don't believe in our online product and see our OS9 Macs that don't allow us to search the web and I think that the end is near.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Can someone verify? I have heard one from sports...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Newspapers will come back right about the time VCRs do.

I think the layoffs will stop at some point. The only question then will be if papers start folding. There are more than a few that I'm stunned are still going.

7. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla New Member

Sad, sad, sad. Used to be an iconic paper here in the Midwest.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It seems we had a brief six-month stop there. Now, they're back.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I honestly don't know how those of us in the print industry keep doing it.

Even if it's not your paper or your chain, every one of these announcements is demoralizing.

10. kentinkc

kentinkc New Member

One person in sports, Dave McQueen. He was a copy editor on the sports desk. He had been at the paper for 10 years, has had a 27-year journalism career. There were nine (out of 12 total) from the newsroom.

11. ReggieRedbird57

ReggieRedbird57 New Member

We've got to believe it's going to get better. Stop worrying and start reporting!!!!!

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Kansas City Star is a disgrace, a fucking disgrace. Somebody tell me otherwise. That newspaper from all accounts has been gutted.

Draft saved Draft deleted