1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up, Kansas City...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 11, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://www.kansascity.com/382/story/1376939.html

Long story short, it sounds like the news isn't as bad this time around, but anytime furloughs and wage freezes are involved that's bad. No layoffs, it sounds like. :)

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Getting Posnanski's salary off the books apparently wasn't enough to avoid the furloughs or the wage freeze. Maybe that stemmed the layoffs, though.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oddly, the wage-freeze thing was pretty much already in effect through the end of the year, as far as I understand. It might have been unofficial, but at least a handful of employees were told long ago not to expect raises until 2010 months ago.

And Kansas City one of been one of the last McC shops to institute this round of furloughs. They hung on considerably longer than most of their brethren.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Even nine years ago, I would have gladly walked away from my non-newspaper career just to cover the stinkin' Kansas City Blades. That is how solid of a sports section the Star put out then.

A shame to see the paper's downfall.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Guess this means no new K-State beat writer anytime soon.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

Remember, they split it w/ the Wichita Eagle. Someone's got to cover 'em.

7. GlenQuagmire

I'm aware of that fact. J Martin has been gone for at least a month now. Haven't even seen a job ad put up yet. I'm afraid both Wichita and KC will have different people chipping in every week just to survive football season.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Wondering what HRich is doing now. The papers could split his salary and bring him back in a heartbeat.

9. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

As part of the content-sharing arrangement, the Eagle is making the K-State hire and will be doing so in the coming days.

10. What happened to Jeffrey Martin? I must have missed that one.

11. GlenQuagmire

From my understanding, he just moved on. Just got tired of the business and the daily grind. Had to commute from Wichita to Manhattan for the job. Supposedly was in a good enough spot to leave without something already lined up. Dude was always great to deal with, so I wish him the best in the future.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

KC still has one of the best sections in the country, so hopefully this is the last of the upheaval. Well, cross your fingers at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted