1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up for embarrassing screw up: Post-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Jun 9, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We sometimes used to have to hold pages to wait because an advertiser would want to run an ad for the home championship team, and we’d have to wait until the game ended before knowing if the ad would run. This meant we couldn’t design the page.

It was a royal pain in the ass.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A few years back, the high school football team I covered was playing for the Section title, so circulation prepared a special rack card if they won. They didn't. Soon as I got back to the office, I told the paginator to go in back and make absolutely sure they knew the local lads lost, so do not use that card!

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This happens when management/newsside folks get involved in sports things. They just don't get it.
    One of my stops was in the San Gabriel Valley. That paper put out a special magazine for the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl. The managing editor called us into a meeting in August -- AUGUST -- to begin planning. The first thing she said was, "OK, which teams are going to be playing in the Rose Bowl?"

SFIND likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That is a case of justifiable teabagging.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We used to have to give the newside folks touts for the front page. Multiple times, we would be asked, “Florida State doesn’t fit in the box. Can we use Florida instead since it’s a state?”

SFIND likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This stuff makes me hurt. In the past, it was unforgivable. Now, I feel sick for the battered journalists who are working hard under bad circumstances.

SFIND, ChrisLong and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This would have been an amusing footnote had the Blues won last night, but now you can see them losing Game 7 from a mile away and there will be deranged fans that will never forget the local paper for putting the "jinx" on.

Twirling Time and ChrisLong like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is where I stand, especially since it’s very likely zero people from the journalism side were involved.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

#BoycottPostDispatch #FakeNews #MAGA

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lest we forget, the Post-Dispatch is a Lee paper. So, obligatory "What was Mary's cut?" post.

2muchcoffeeman, MTM and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Dallas' mayor at the time never heard the end of it after holding a meeting in 2006 to plan the Mavs' victory parade with Dallas up 2-0 on the Heat.

Draft saved Draft deleted