1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: Fenway. Well, first Cape Cod, then Fenway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 7, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Re: Next up: Fenway. Calling all northeastern SportsJournalists.com members

I thought this was going to be a gathering. But Boston is a very walkable city.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Name one old city that isn't a "great walking town."

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

All great suggestions so far.

If you and the Mrs. are still in the carousing stages of life, hitting up Beer Works and CnF ain't a bad idea. Nightclubs also line Lansdowne, behind the Monster. Central Square, Cambridge, with The Phoenix and Middle East and another nice bar a couple blocks away toward MIT, also would be a good choice.

If you are staying in Rhode Island, definitely park at a commuter rail or subway station. Quincy Adams is a good idea, since the subways run much more frequently. Just remember that you can't get back there if you miss the 12:45 subways out of town unless you wanna pay a small fortune for a cab.

Go in the North End and walk down Hanover Street. Hit Bova's, great 24-hour bakery. It's been years since I've been in Dolce Vita, but it's a damn good restaurant.

Oh, yeah, make a stop at a good seafood place. Legal Seafood is a safe choice.

If I have some free time, I'll join Chris_L in offering to pick up a few rounds for the guests.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Venice.

Pompeii.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That's two. He just asked for one. :)

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Excellent call on Bova's, which I was about to suggest. Someone told me to hit the North End for Italian, but not to get dessert from the restaurant with Bova's in mind. Talk about great advice.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't do any walking in Venice, Calif.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

East St. Louis.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Indeed. At this time of year, a trip to Newport (which is roughly an hour from Boston) is good because the rich folk from New York haven't made it up there yet, so it's actually possible to walk around. Same goes for Providence. I'm not sure if they've started it yet, but Firewater (or waterfire, I can't remember which) is pretty sweet on Saturday nights. In the river that cuts through Providence, they light these cauldrens every 50-100 feet or so and play music that echoes off the buildings. It started as a art project by someone a couple of years ago and turned into a weekly thing; thousands of people walk around. And if you're feeling randy, stop by the Foxy Lady. Mo Vaughn gives it two thumbs up.

But as for Boston...check out the Black Rose bar near the New Garden, or if you're by Fenway, go down Lansdowne (behind the Green Monster) to Jillian's. Bar/arcade/bowling alley over three floors. Pretty sweet.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sadly, I only stumbled upon it a couple years ago. We were drinking over at Paddy Burke's, and we stumbled over there. Black-and-white cookies, the massive Rice Krispy treats... I could go on. Sadly, they don't serve pizza/calzones late at night anymore. That really set them apart.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The fact that they sold the calzones by the pound alone told me it was a quality place.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That made me laugh out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted