1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up -- ESPN??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Butch obviously would be good, but he's got a good gig going at CU.

2. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Hire is done. Not ready to be divulged, I don't think.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mile, when I was out watching Philly-Colorado in the 2007 NLDS, I did a couple stories for our local paper on athletes at CU and had the great pleasure to talk to BG for about 30 minutes. What a guy. What's he up to now at Colorado?

4. MileHigh

Butch is a fantastic guy. He got on with CU after the Rocky was burned to the ground and is their main writer for the school's sports Web site.

http://bit.ly/90bvzI

5. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Anyone know what happened to Graham? Just curious.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

My understanding is that it was a two-year deal that Tim wasn't sorry to see end. He traveled from his San Antonio base far more than he thought he would, and almost every Big 12 team's fans thought he was biased against them.

7. MileHigh

Still there, no?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/19681/niu-looks-to-challenge-for-the-mac-title

And: I love football myself, but geez . . . so much coverage in the middle of February?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When Butch was at the RMN he was the best Big 12 writer by a longshot. Plenty of good ones, plenty of very good ones, but he's the best. I doubt many would even bother to argue that.

One of the nicest people you'll ever meet as well.

10. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Heard today Tim Griffin is going back to the Express-News. Can't confirm it yet. Can anyone else?

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Not sure that would work, at least when it comes to breaking news. I doubt the host paper of the "contract worker" would be too happy seeing news bring broken on ESPN.com instead of the paper's site.

The WWL used to have freelance writers for football and hoops -- by conference. In Bristol they understood you broke news for your paper. The work was enjoyable, quite cumbersome during NCAA tournament time, but you could make some pretty good coin.

The web editors back then were both decent guys.

12. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Sorry -- I meant Griffin, not Graham.

Draft saved Draft deleted