1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up -- ESPN??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://deadspin.com/5141326/george-bodenheimer-reminds-bristol-of-the-wintry-economic-climate-were-in

Interesting...

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I took one for Conde Nast that was literally like a workbook. What is the point.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was going to say, they have to do some hiring because they are opening up the L.A. office. You would have to believe that's at least 200 new jobs or transfers from Bristol that would lead to needing replacements in Bristol.

So the company is putting in an expansion while implementing a hiring freeze. I wonder what the net result will be. Maybe not as bad as it looks. Might just be a wash.

4. Mizzougrad96

I was not impressed with the Big 12 coverage.

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

But they can hire more talking heads...Mr. Herm Edwards
    http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/654

6. Mizzougrad96

Herm is going to be a good hire.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What may be going on with former beat writers' hirings as bloggers is an almost instantaneous change in their access/credibitily, and in their own attitude/approach to the work.

Blogging, by its very nature, is often more casual, more of a whenever-you've-got-something sort of thing. And I think that takes some of the intensity and urgency out of a reporter.

They, in essence, seem to become less of a reporter -- whether that is because that is the perception among "real" journalists at their outlet, or not, or whether it is something that occurs consciously, or not, I don't know.

But I do think this happens, almost automatically. And, their treatment/priority, by the team, and in their own minds, sometimes changes accordingly, too.

Bloggers are still looking for and fighting for credibility, and still finding their way in terms of how they want to, should or will approach their beats, especially when it comes to hard news, in a way that typical beat writers (which these people used to be) are not.

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

Yeah, but he doesn't deserve his own thread.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

From the Deadspin link, I think many of the "faces/names of ESPN" will probably hang around. Many of the writers who aren't necessarily recognized by name, etc., don't have contracts and aren't full-time employees. Like other sites hiring, ESPN uses quite a few "independent contractors," mentioned by GB in the third bulletin:

I would venture a guess that, despite being mentioned last, that'll be the first one they look at, or at least a chunk of the moves they make.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree that a beat writer turned conference blogger, somehow, some way, loses some of the edge he might have as a one-team watchdog. Somehow, they seem less, I dunno, dangerous in terms of discovering and reporting something that one of "their" teams might not want out there. Especially with the beat guys now in place working harder (and smarter!) to not get scooped by someone national.

Think it's mostly workload, familiarity, geography. Not sure about that attitude charge. Although I will share this: Had a dot.commer from the WWL moaning in my ear one day about how his job would be perfect "if it wasn't for having to write." Apparently, TV stand-ups and live chats were cool with him, but this former newspaper reporter was crying about rolling up his sleeves and doing the hard stuff.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Low does break a lot of news and is very good. Problem is that the other bloggers mostly post links to stories written by someone else. They mostly report on news broken by other outlets. I'm surprised it took the suits this long to realize it's probably not worth having all those people.

12. Mizzougrad96

People to fire...

1. Chris Berman
    2. DJ Stewy
    3. Stephen A. Smith

Draft saved Draft deleted