1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up - Columbia (S.C.) State

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

It's there. Sort of.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/1106055.html

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I appreciate the link.
    It's not anywhere on the front page. Must have been bumped for stories on McGwire, a political book review and a story on the Atlantic sturgeon fish population.
    Sigh.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Anybody know who the third person in sports cut?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I haven't heard anything today, but word on the street is the third person hadn't been decided yet.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong or out-of-date.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

That's got to be comforting to everybody there.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Third person will be determined by whether someone takes a buyout

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This sharing of content thing really is bothersome.
    I wonder what it's like to be the beat writer who has to provide for several big papers. Aren't deadlines all different? Some newspapers probably need more notice on a feature story where they can plan for it, others don't need as much time.
    I would think it would be a major headache for the beat writer having to deal with several editors on different papers.
    Sounds like a difficult task to me, but most people would say the beat job of a major school is so great, just shut up and do your job, blah blah blah.

8. The hardest thing about sharing content is that beat writers often localize the coverage for their market. Maybe a college or pro athlete played at a local HS, etc. In another market, that might not be important, or even stay in the story. So what happens is that each desk has to tailor the story to its needs.

Oh, that's right. We're going to a regional desk so all that local flavor will be filtered out anyway. Problem solved!

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The person that is being asked to take a buyout is in sports? I can only think of one veteran left in sports (although I could be wrong). If it's the person I'm thinking of, he's only the best writer in the state. I guess they want to be devoid of all talent there.

10. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Frederick, I wasn't a true beat writer per say, but I provided coverage of one team for three different outlets and ended up writing about six different stories from one game. One paper, didn't print on the weekend so a game story from Saturday went in Monday. One wanted stories immediately because it was a major daily and the other was a Web site so they wanted longer pieces that seemed to go on forever.

Needless to say it was always interesting trying to make sure you got everything right for each one, but on most days you could tweek stuff, add more, etc. just enough to eventually make it work.

11. If we're talking about the same "Person," I agree whole-heartedly. No matter who it is, I feel for that person, as I do for the two who have already been named.

12. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

No one on the Gamecock beat will be affected, nor will the columnist. If one of two vets takes a buyout, problem solved. Otherwise a prep person draws short straw.

Draft saved Draft deleted