1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Up - Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At the rate E&P is going, he'll be the last winner of their award. Fittingly.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

A friend tells me Buttry hadn't even been in the newsroom since last April.

Seriously.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

True story, OTR. He was moved to a completely different floor.

He was, basically, a six-figure blogger for a paper that laid off 20 percent of its staff.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Steve Buttry praises himself for his award. One of the people he axed, though, has some choice comments for him below his blog.

http://stevebuttry.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/editor-of-the-year-who-me/#comments

5. JBHawkEye

It is true. He essentially was running out the clock on his contract. No one wanted him anywhere near the product.

Last summer he wrote on his Gazette blog about how he had been at different seminars touting his abilities and ideas. I posted a comment on his blog that instead of running around the country telling everyone how great he is, maybe he should stay behind and clean up the mess he left at the Gazette. I received a response that was, how should I say it, less than friendly.

6. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

That is unfuckingreal.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A great newspaper turned into a mess by one guy. Niiiiiiiiice. Now that he's gone, hopefully Cedar Rapids rights its ship. It's a nice city and deserves better.

8. JBHawkEye

Waiting for E&P's next award to be to Gannett for its innovative furlough and layoff policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted