1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Up - Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think what they're doing is very strange, and what's happening to people is terrible, and you're also right, it would be tough to take this job given all that has come before it, but having said that: This job, without all that baggage, actually sounds pretty cool.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Entrepreneurial journalists? Independent superbloggers? Oh, you mean the former full-timers now blogging for no benefits and $8.25 an hour?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know we gotta do what we gotta do, but anyone who takes this job cares nothing of the industry.

Unless they are taking it to sabotage that awful idea and make sure it doesn't have even a temporary period of success that would cause other newspapers to imitate it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

From the mini-pipeline (pipette?) --

Two more in the newsroom at CR got the axe last week. Those left are waiting on more.

And the independent-blogger plan has, apparently, been either put on hold or scrapped.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can't imagine why, it was such a wonderous idea!

Idiots.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I talked to some Gazette friends yesterday, and they were a little nervous.

My guess is within the year, the architect of this disaster will be somewhere else. And then someone new will hire him to be a hatchet man, just like he apparently was at the Gazette.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sad but true, JB.

Sad but true.

8. JBHawkEye

Makes me sad. One of my favorite papers, and I know and like everyone on the sports staff.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hear more got the axe at Cedar Rapids last night.

JB, what do you hear?

10. JBHawkEye

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'll check.

I do know that the Information Content Conductor has been moved to a room a floor below the newsroom and doesn't have much of a say in day-to-day ops.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No longer has a column, either, from what I hear.

12. JBHawkEye

He's pretty much running out the clock on his contract, now that his destruction is complete.

Draft saved Draft deleted