1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Up - Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I would imagine that the line between advertiser and blogger would be blurred severely. If so, the advertisers will be alright with this (I guess).

We were talking today in the newsroom about how blogs in print just don't seem to work.

This is horrifying.

And the scary thing is, I think it might work and help profit margins. This is a really easy way to gut a staff and save a TON of money. My heart goes out to anyone who works there.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Well I'll tell you what; those let go need to beat the paper to the bunch and start their own blogs and start lining up advertisers. Just pretend you still work for the paper and go for it.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does the Information Content Conductor get to wear a neat hat?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. And all because the people in charge of making the decisions have absolutely no knowledge -- let alone context necessary to properly use that knowledge if they had it -- about the tools they're trying to use.

It all boils down to this:

It embarrasses me to even be associated in the same industry with those people. And these are the "leaders". What a disgrace.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, because nothing says the next century like a fucking allusion to the railroads.

Honest to God, no wonder this industry is dying.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A friend of mine posted a response on the Information Content Conductor's blog, wondering if these cuts were because the company was losing money, or was this to just protect the profit margin.

From what I understand, that comment is still in "moderation." Apparently the Conductor doesn't want to deal with that.

7. JBHawkEye

Just noticed on the Gazette's Web site that the blog of one of the fired sports writers is still there.

The Content Conductor must be punching tickets in another train car and hasn't gotten to it yet.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The cynic in me realizes making everyone superbloggers and then buying their content makes them independent contractors, meaning The Gazette doesn't have to pay benefits.

Just swell.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This paper was making money before the floods.

That is all.

10. JBHawkEye

As of now, they still have benefits.

But there's no doubt in my mind that someday that will change.

11. JBHawkEye

No doubt about it, the flood hurt. They lost a lot of downtown businesses.

But, in the "Corridor" as they call the Iowa City-Cedar Rapids area, there's still a lot of ad opportunities.

Again, I think this is about not making enough money.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Calling all conductors (or Benedict Arnolds) ... here's the latest from J-Jobs. Personally, I'd rather clean toilets. That task would smell a lot better than this:

Company: Gazette Communications
    Position: Information Content Manager
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 10, 2009
    Job ID: 1028978

Description:
    This is a key leadership position in a new organization at Gazette Communications that will develop news and other information content separately from the planning or editing of specific packaged products. The Manager must be an innovator with strong journalism skills who is ready to help lead a new entrepreneurial organization. The Manager will be responsible for communicating with product planners about content that is being produced in various topical beat blogs. Other responsibilities include:

• Supervision of the entrepreneurial journalists who will be the content providers, including periodic performance reviews and frequent feedback about what is working and suggestions for areas of improvement.

• Coordination of the entrepreneurial journalists’ work to ensure that major news and issues in the community are covered without undue duplication or significant gaps.

• Monitoring the total content of the Information Content Enterprise and suggesting adjustments, such as new areas for coverage in expansion of staff or through independent superbloggers or suggestions for new content development by superbloggers.

Position requires an undergraduate degree in journalism, English, or related course of study with at least 10 years experience in editing, reporting, photojournalism and a minimum of 5 years of experience in management. Experience in digital tools and techniques such as blogging, use of social media, multimedia, databases and linking is preferred. Entrepreneurial experience preferred. Candidates must have a willingness to engage extensively with the community and must understand and apply the ethics of journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted