1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Up - Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, they will retain the copy editors to put the paper out? Or will it be online only?

This is one of the strangest ideas I've ever heard. One of the dumbest as well.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

We have to be innovative in this climate, but that just crosses the line to strange.
    I feel sorry for John, Jeff and Jim - Jim was around when I started at the student newspaper at Iowa.
    Hopefully all 3 will land good positions soon - hopefully in an industry more stable than this one.

3. beardown

beardown Member

The paper is shrinking from 5 to 3 daily sections, and the web is shrinking as well. Copy editors will be retained to put out that portion, but there's plenty of cuts coming there, too.

The reporters will write their blogs/stories online, and the copy editors will buy those stories for print use. It is fucked up and confusing. It's supposed to start by mid-March.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

From what I heard, the managing editor got it this morning. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Make no mistake, folks: This isn't an attempt to save a newspaper. This newspaper wasn't failing.

This is killing a newspaper, plain and simple.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. And very sad, because as we've said, it's a strong newspaper in a community that will rebound from the flooding damage.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. Holy fucking double shit.

That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Not only does my heart go out to those at the Gazette, it goes out to the Cedar Rapids community who will not have their news needs served to them.

Who in the hell owns Cedar Rapids? Is it private or corporate?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Private.

Feb. 25, 2009: The day journalism died.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

According to a source inside, people fired over the last two days is up around 31.

No one is sure if the 100 people gone ballpark figure applies to new layoffs or to layoffs and jobs lost to attrition and earlier purges.

This is insane. Simply insane.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The thing that disturbed me about the live chat today was a lot of the questions about this reorganization plan were from people involved in journalism in this state. No one, it seemed, was bothered that a lot of good people got whacked yesterday and today.

Disgraceful, really.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Copy editors are buying blog entries to repurpose into print? My shop is not small, and the blog entries here verge on unreadable half the time. How are advertisers going to like to be around that kind of copy solely?

Draft saved Draft deleted