1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Up - Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lord knows, that's the truth.

2. On top of the gigantic mountain of fail heaped upon our industry, the Gazette got an extra dose thanks to the area's major flooding this past summer, which wiped out a lot of Cedar Rapids businesses, and thus many, many advertising dollars.

Good guys down in CR.
    Fuck.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That's the biggest reason I could think of for this, wi. The Gazette is a great paper for a city of that size and Cedar Rapids is a very nice place. Unfortunately, it also attracted a lot of water last summer.

Shit.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One of those writers was in my neck of the woods on a road trip just a few weeks ago. Damn shame for all involved.

5. beardown

beardown Member

Along with the cuts, both present and upcoming, the newsroom will cease to exist. All reporting positions will become "superbloggers" with a topical blog. From what we're told, the rest of this year we'll keep our current salary, but next year we're getting cut way down and try to sell ads on our blogs. I'm unsure if we'll have to sell or just market the blog to sell. I don't think management even knows yet, which means it will fail dramatically and more good people will lose their jobs.

The Gazette print product will then "buy" blogs from the superbloggers for use in print. Management has decided to separate the print product from the content. I wish I had more answers but this is as confusing as it gets.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

WTF????!!!! So all the reporters are basically free-lancers now?

I sympathize with everything the Gazette -- and the Cedar Rapids community -- has gone through with the flooding.

But this plan is absolutely insane, BearDown.

7. beardown

beardown Member

The plan sucks and it will fail. Those of us who survived the first hit just wonder who will be next on the second when it does fail.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. Every time I think I've heard every awful idea this industry can come up with, every time I think I'm enured to it, they come up with something that stuns me.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Be careful. You might get your 'you're fired' notice via Twitter one of these days. ;)

10. JB20

JB20 Member

Marc Morehouse still there?

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yes. He made it through the cuts.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I had heard tell of this.

The new editor is a huge fucking tool. Let's tell it like it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted