1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Up - Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline, more bad news:

At least 16 got the axe in Cedar Rapids today.

With more to follow, likely.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What was the staffing like there, pre-cuts?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure, I hope someone can answer.
    Three cuts in sports, I'm told, though that is not certain.

4. FormerIowan

FormerIowan New Member

Not sure about the whole newsroom, but the sports department had an editor, night editor, 6-7 writers, two columnists (who also write game stuff) and 2-3 deskers.

5. beardown

beardown Member

Yep, Cedar Rapids joined the ranks today. Horrific day to be in the newsroom, and we're just the latest newspaper to experience it so we're not unique.

We had 2 editors, eight reporters and a columnist, plus a U-desk. Three sports reporters lost their jobs this afternoon. Jim Ecker and Jeff Dahn, both of which had been on the sports staff for at least 20 years, and John Riehl, who was there for 10. Ecker covered college sports, including the University of Iowa, for several years. Dahner covered high school boys sports. Riehl covered preps and Iowa women's basketball.

Overall, and we keep losing track of the numbers, but there's around 15 people in a newsroom of around 85 who lost jobs today.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks for the info, beardown.

Sounds like, from what I heard, another four or five news reporters, as well.

Desk hasn't heard anything, yet?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Ouch ... the Gazette's always been a strong paper, and supposedly in one of the few "growing" areas of Iowa, population-wise.

I wish all those who were let go -- and those left behind -- the best, and I wish we could do more to stop the bloodletting.

8. beardown

beardown Member

The newsroom total today was 14. But that was strictly reporters and non-editing positions. We expect more cuts in the coming weeks involving editors and our universal desk. Needless to say it was a difficult day for everyone.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ugggh, that's gonna get even uglier before it's over.

Good thoughts going to those who got the ax, and to those who are left.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A lot of good people got cut today — one of them a former co-worker and a good friend. He deserved better. They all did.

Sad, sad day. Someday I hope someone up there explains to me how this will make them a better paper. But I suppose I'll have to be explained that by Twitter, Facebook, or live blog, because that's all the new publisher seems interested in doing.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The first newspaper I read as a kid. This one hurts.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's amazing they cut these 20 year vets. I understand why, they make too much money, but it is ridiculous. I mean it used to be papers hired the best candidates for jobs. Now they don't want the best candidates they want the cheap or citizen journalists. It makes no sense for a business. I repeat ... just speed up this process and go all online or close your doors, publishers. This makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

Draft saved Draft deleted