1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: Boston Globe and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jul 30, 2015.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Give me a break. This was written in there: "* The buyout is 1.5 weeks of pay for every year of service up to a maximum of 39 weeks of pay (at 26 years of service)
    * Despite the Guild’s best efforts, there is NO health insurance as part of the buyout"
    No insurance at all and those there 35-40 years get a max of 39 weeks of pay. That is lousy. But better than nothing so I'm sure all the oldies took the buyout out of fear.
    And somebody had the nerve to criticize Fredrick on one of the threads saying nobody at the paper was happy to see a veteran writer go ... Sure. Keep believing that. They want all highly paid veterans to get lost as quickly as possible to replace 'em with a low paid newbie.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

"Had the nerve to criticize Fredrick"? Jesus Christ, get the fuck over yourself.

I said it and I still stand behind it: Not one person in that building was happy about having to replace a respected, long-tenured NFL beat writer a week before training camp. I get that it doesn't fit into your schtick on here, but it's the truth.

You also posted this ...

Which is either utter bullshit, or you have worked at only horrible places in your career (and are willing to sit and take that abuse). You may not want to believe it, but there are papers that pay for hours worked and don't get in big trouble with the publisher and managing editor. If you're so indignant about the way you've been treated at the places you've worked, stop playing the martyr and get to a better place.

Everyone else, sorry about the threadjack ...

4. Fredrick

Sorry to pull a Trump and anger you. It was not my intent. Did you see the list of people who took the buyouts? If the newspaper wanted to keep its highly-read, highly respected veterans, they'd not offer or accept their buyout don't you agree? Instead they are happily shipping them out the door to save almighty $$$ while the CEOs continue to get raises. As far as myself, I realize the decision to work unpaid overtime is a personal decision. If you do it, you are hurting your family's pocketbook and quality of life (attending functions of kids and wife) but you either do it or enter another profession. The news organizations have ways to make sure they are covered legally on wink/wink programs such as these. Sorry to pull a Trump and offend but I believe I have correct positions on most matters like this. It's my belief.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No, you don't either work unpaid overtime or enter another profession. You may not have experienced it, but there are papers out there that expect you to be paid for every hour you work, and expect you to work reasonable hours and have a life outside of work. I've been in wink-wink situations like you referenced, but I've been in more situations where bosses all the way up in the line follow the law to the letter, and make sure their employees know it. If you've never experienced that, you're very unlucky, I guess.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You hurt your fellow employees by working unpaid OT and cheapen your profession.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Anyone who works unpaid OT is nuts.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As the saying goes, nobody on their deathbed ever said they wished they spent more time at the office.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

In our Sunday budget meeting on Friday, I asked the SE, "Will we have X story this week?"
    His reply: "No. I decided Reporter X had enough on his plate already."

That really is the way it usually works.

10. Fredrick

At least somebody finally acknowledges the wink-wink situations exist. Every sportswriter I know (especially preps writers) have been in the exact same wink-wink situations.

11. Fredrick

Well, I would disagree, because fellow employees are doing the same thing.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And you wonder why they pay you guys peanuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted