1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next To The Gallows ... St. Pete Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moondoggy, May 28, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It really is. I don't think anyone expects givebacks. Just stop taking raises if you're freezing everyone else's.

This is also 5 percent for a guy who makes at least a half-mil, last I checked (they do publish the execs' salaries). He's not going to be clipping coupons anytime soon.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

For me, if you're including his paycut, you should mention the salary. There's no real hardship involved in his sacrifice.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The one thing that does kind of ring true in the memo is the fact it takes fewer people to put out the product now. I think that's probably true everywhere. Granted, we could put out a better product if we had more people, but the staff requirements at newspapers aren't what they used to be with everything going digital. I'm somewhat familiar with St. Pete, and I'm sure they have some people there just like everywhere else who don't contribute much anymore. I agree with one of the previous posts, though, that it would be nice to see buyouts offered to the younger crowd, who likely will have an easier time finding a new job anyway.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

<<I'm somewhat familiar with St. Pete, and I'm sure they have some people there just like everywhere else who don't contribute much anymore.>>

That is a pet peeve of mine. At my shop, there was an unannounced hiring freeze — they never said there was a hiring freeze, they just weren't hiring anybody — in an effort to trim staff. So who was leaving? Many productive people in essential positions. People who were talented enough to get hired elsewhere or dynamic enough to at least pursue a career change. Meanwhile, the people who do God knows what...the ones who wander around the building with no apparent purpose other than to maintain a job doing to minimum to keep the job, stayed on staff.

Any staff cut should start with the least productive.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They should. But they never do. They start with the higher salaries and use the lower salaries to pick up the workload.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Or, the ones who with less seniority. Least that's what I'm hearing for targeted layoffs at my shop.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

But the publishers all say that we're putting out a newspaper AND a Web site now. That shouldn't require fewer people, it should require more people, if you're going to do it halfway right. But they keep cut, cut, cutting, then throw more work at the thinned staff (made up largely of goldbricks and Costanzas, based on the recent posts).

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

The time to edit all the blog updates alone takes up much of the desk's shifts. St. Pete still does good work (its online business section is one of the best in the country), but if the wheels are coming off there ...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good news? Well, not-bad news anyway ... no layoffs.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2008/08/st-pete-times-s.html

At least, no layoffs ... yet.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days, any news that isn't bad can be considered great.

11. Reacher

Reacher Member

I don't think this is a sign of a good company following bad ones. I think it's more of a sign that newspapers are not viable - no matter how bad or good the product. The media world has changed and left the newspaper industry behind.

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted