1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next stop: Cooperstown?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When I was working n the hockey business I had a great chat with Carpenter before one of our games about his days as a youth hockey player when he thought he would be the next Bobby Orr.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Helton - Played his whole career at Coors Field and he still couldn't get to 400 HR? I think he's going to have a hard time getting too much love from the HOF voters.

Johan Santana - Isn't that baseball for Terrell Davis? :D It's going to be hard to imagine any starter getting in with less than 200 wins, and Santana is four good seasons away from 200 wins.

Andruw Jones - Does being an amazing fielder make up for that batting average? I was actually surprised his career average was over .250.

Beltran has had a nice career, and he does have that 300-300 thing working for him, but given some of the guys who are being completely ignored by the voters (and I mean prior to this year's debacle), I can't imagine someone making a serious case for Beltran.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I first read it as "fuck the sun." That was fun.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Roy Halladay?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lock. I know he's still under 200 wins (199), but he'll probably finish with 240 or so. He has two Cy Youngs and finished second twice and third once.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lock.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority as a big hall guy, but I wouldn't have a problem with Rolen, Helton, Beltran and Jones getting in.

If I had an order, It would go Rolen Beltran, Jones, then Helton.

Santana now no. If he can pitch three more years without injury, I'd re-evaluate.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That would be some hot sex.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pettitte and Sabathia?

Thome? Ichiro?

10. Dick Whitman

I didn't include Pettitte because he's a PED case.

Sabathia I would guess is approaching lock status, but that's an interesting one. His ERA is 3.50 right now. It's been dropping, but if you tack on a couple bad years toward the end, now he's in Jack Morris territory.

I think Thome would be a lock here by Mizzou's standard (75-25 for).

Ichiro, as well.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How is he in Morris territory? His ERA is significantly lower, and compared to his era it's not even close. In Morris' time, ERAs were much lower than they are now.

12. Dick Whitman

For some reason, I was thinking Morris was in the 3.70s. I forgot he's 3.90.

But regardless, he's on pretty shaky ground as it is at 3.50 and even his 125 ERA-plus is in the danger zone.

Draft saved Draft deleted