1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next step down in the economy: monthly rent a car

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 5, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/1022073003.html

Whether you need a car for business,
    pleasure or as a replacement while your
    car's in the shop for repair,
    Toyota Rent a Car has the car for you!

Toyota Rent-A-Car of Long Beach is proud to come to the rescue with Monthly Rental of a 2009 Toyota Corolla for only $500 per month.

Why go to another rental agency when you can rent directly from Toyota? Toyota Rent a Car utilizes only the latest model Toyota vehicles, making it a superior rental experience. Whether your rental needs are for pleasure, business or special events, Toyota Rent a Car provides the legendary quality available only at Toyota.

Renting Through Toyota Rent a Car Means That You Can:
    • Test-drive a new Toyota model before your next lease or purchase.
    • Drive away in the latest model Toyota while your vehicle is being serviced at the dealership.
    • Enjoy a long weekend getaway in a current Toyota model.
    • Rent a comfortable, roomy Toyota for out-of-town guests or a business trip.
    • Try something different, like the exciting new Tundra, Highlander or Camry.

Here are the list of vehicle that we offer:

- $500 per month

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I happened to see something on PBS a week or two ago about the port in Long Beach and about how it was bustling two years ago and activity has ground to a standstill.

One of the guys they interviewed in the piece mentioned that there were acres and acres of new Toyotas that had come in there that are just sitting there and it's costing Toyota a fortune to pay for the storage. But they can't unload the cars. This makes perfect sense, actually. They probably want to get rid of that backed up inventory, and if they had to give the cars away, they might even consider it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There was another thread about all the unsold cars a few weeks back. There's a place south of Dallas that has acres and acres of unsold import SUVs parked, as far as the eye can see.

That place is referenced in this article, as well as Long Beach:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE4B61NA20081207?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ford dealership in my area is offering a 2009 four door Ford Focus for $9,260. $0 down and 0 percent APR for 36 months. So after taxes, you're looking at around $10 grand or about $3,300 a year. Even a journalist can afford that. Under $280 a month (again that's with 0 down and no trade in). If you can get $1,000 for a trade in, shit, your looking at a really low payment.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't understand. You could get a new Corolla for substantially less than that. Is this just for people who can't afford financing, or what?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You can get a new Corolla for less than $9,260?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm guessing he meant you can get a Corolla for less than $500 a month.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

People probably can't do a down payment. Also students, and newer workers who don't have large savings accounts may not be buying cars because they are afraid of losing their jobs; or not being able to make payments down the road.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, I thought $500/mo. was pretty steep for a car, though I thought it might be about right for Cali. You can get a much better car in my area for that.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That's actually pretty good. I know some people, granted they were younger, who were paying 600-700 dollars a month for shitty vehicles.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's aimed at people who need to rent a car for substantial period of time, not as a replacement to leasing or buying a car.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Sorry ... I meant less than that per month ... which is what most people on a budget care most about.

I couldn't afford $500 a month for a car right now, that's for damn sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted