1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next sj.com party: Hurricane shelters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 10, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.waaytv.com/global/story.asp?s=8981423
    http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=8973555

Colleges Clean Up Dangerous Trash Left By Gustav Evacuees

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 06:49 PM

BOAZ, Ala. (WAAY) -- Cleanup crews at some Tennessee Valley colleges have warned students and staff about potential health risks at their gyms after hundreds of evacuees came to north Alabama to escape Hurricane Gustav.

With old food, used toiletries, dirty blankets, the gymnasium at Snead State Community College was trashed Tuesday. About 300 hurricane evacuees had called the home for four days last week.

Within 10 minutes of arriving at the facility, school officials asked WAAY-31 News to leave. However, during the brief time the reporter was there, a syringe, a condom and used underwear were plainly visible.

School officials said that when the evacuees heard they were leaving, they left behind a big mess.

"There's just a lot to consider with the cleanup," said Snead State spokeswoman Shelley Smith. "We want to take everything into consideration. That's why we've brought in professionals that've done this before."

Tuberculosis, staph infections and hepatitis are just some of the health diseases that may be lurking inside the gym. Megan Reynolds is on the women's basketball team, which will condition outside and not on their home court for the next few days.

"It's affecting all of the college athletes," Reynolds said. "Because volleyball is practicing at a high school, they have to drive 45 miles. We're practicing in a smaller gym, so we can't really run. And the guys are practicing wherever they can."

The moves are just a temporary solution until the gym is all cleaned up. But looking around on Tuesday, it won't be easy.

Snead State isn't alone. There are reports of similar problems at other Alabama colleges as well.

It will cost about $20,000 to clean up the Snead State gymnasium. School officials said the Federal Emergency Management Agency will foot the bill.

----------------

With evacuees gone, the time to clean has come

Updated: Sep 8, 2008 05:43 PM

By Bobby Shuttleworth
    WAFF 48 News Reporter

The evacuees are gone.

Now the cleanup begins for most shelters in the Valley.

It appears some of those "Gulf Coast guests" have left thier mark.

The gym at Calhoun Community College may be known for the championship basketball teams of the past.

But now, those running from Gustav have left their mark.

Dean of Business and Finance, Jack Burrow said, "The entire gym, hallways, the chairs, tables, bathrooms, the snack machines outside...everything that we've been using has to be disinfected, cleaned and wiped down."

This big task will go to a bio-hazard firm out Birmingham at a cost of 25,000 dollars.

Burrow said, "As far as out-of-pocket expenses, Calhoun is not supposed to be out."

Janet Martin with Calhoun Public Relations added, "All the costs, as far as we've been told FEMA will absorb."

Burrow says some of the guests stopped up commodes, with blankets furnished by the Red Cross.

"Of course we had to bring Rotor Rooter out and in the middle of the night. I'm sure it's going to be a pretty good bill, but things like this we've got it well documented," said Burrow

He says they also had to deal with dirty cots and blankets.

"90 % of them were soiled. The fabric was cut off of the frames and we actually burned those. And we burned the blankets," said Burrow.

Even the tarp, protecting the gym floor may be ruined.

As we walked the halls, we even found blood on the locker room door and a lot of spatter on the walls.

We've heard reports of other, more serious problems to our South.

We called the Post Secondary Department of Education in Montgomery and they told us they would call us back.

As of Monday night, they have not.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn, are they still that pissed about Nick Saban?

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

A hurricane shelter won't save you from a man-made black hole. /crossthreadorfive

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buddy of mine works for Unifirst, which provides the mats and such for Shelton State, near (or in) Tuscaloosa.
    He went down there last week to swap out the mats -- on a Saturday, which should have been a warning there.
    He's talking with the woman he deals with, stops and looks at the mat, then points and asks if THAT was what he thought it was.
    Yes, people shit on the mats. And pissed. And puked. And it was par for the course all over the college, he said.

5. dixiehack

You should see what Corn Dog Nation does to the Quad every other year.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Corn Dog Nation?

7. dixiehack

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since when do I acknowledge being in the SEC...

And the page can not be displayed, so thanks for the enlightenment...

9. dixiehack

You are not of the SEC, but you were "in" it the moment you drove across the Ohio River on I-75. And since your computer hates you, the text from 2005.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with anything, but one of my favorite headlines of all-time is when Iowa won at Minnesota to clinch the Big Ten title in '03 or whenever that was, followed by Iowa's fans tearing down goalposts in the Metrodome. I believe it was in the Strib.

"Corn Belted"

You know, corn dogs ... corn belted? That's how my mind works ...

... OK everyone fuck off.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Raised a Bengal Tiger backer, I hate to admit this, but .....

A friend and I went to the opener against Appalachian State a couple of weeks ago. We're sitting (I mean, standing) there with the friends who hooked us up with tickets, and out of nowhere, this friend of mine says, "Something smells like corn dogs."

I know for a fact this friend would not know anything of the Auburn accusation. I found it amusing and worrying at the same time that this corn dog phenomenon could possibly be legitimate.

Draft saved Draft deleted