1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Maravich?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writestuff1, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Tell Mark Price the next time he buys a ticket to visit the Basketball Hall of Fame that he should stop by the Maravich plaque and read up on him. Maybe you can go with him and learn something. Every time I think you can't possibly keep posting a more ridiculous argument, you manage to top yourself.

You may not have noticed, but you're not getting much support on this thread. There's a reason for that.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's definitely not the next Ernie D.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I followed Maravich as a pro and have heavily researched him as a collegian. Jimmer's nowhere near the offensive wunderkid that Maravich was.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Jimmer strikes me more as the next Adam Morrison than the next all-star level player. He has 1 block this year and averages about a steal a game, and that's with him playing 35 minutes a game. (In contrast, Allen Iverson had 3 steals a game in college.) A volume shooter like Jimmer is useful at the college level, since it prevents worse options from using possessions, but it's not as valuable in the NBA, where the quality of play is less extreme. I'm not sure he has the athleticism to excel in the NBA.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A few years ago, Jaeson Maravich (Pete's younger son) played small-college ball not too far from here, and I covered a few of his games. Jaeson was a smaller, considerably less talented version of Pistol Pete – good long-range shooting ability, similar passing skills and not always a team player.

But like his dad, he had the ability to single-handedly take over games. One game I covered, he didn't do anything for 35 minutes, then put up 17 points in the final five minutes of play and helped his team pull out a big conference win. Off the court, he was a nice kid, kind of quiet and you could tell the last name was a bit of a burden. He was only maybe 4-years-old when Pete died, so he never really knew his dad, and he had to live up the name of someone he only knew mostly second-hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted