1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Maravich?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writestuff1, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought when I read that. If Jimmer turns out as good as Price, he will have greatly exceeded expectations. Price was a four time all star and flat out stud in the early 90s. Don't be expecting that much from the Jimmer.

2. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

So Mark Price is a flat-out stud, but Maravich is wildly overrated. OK, whatever you say.

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

If Pistol was on Magic's Lakers I would take him every time. How many different ways do you need to hear that he was an amazing ball handler before it sinks in? Beat a press? On a team with the Lakers talent Pete would beat it every time.

And if a pass hits a player in the head it is his own fault for not paying attention, not the passers fault.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen of Fredette, he has the chance to evolve into a solid pro, at the one or two All-Star appearances in a 10-year career level. That's a lot better than MANY high lottery picks have turned out.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The comparisons I've heard are Ainge and Korver.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ainge and Korver, IIRC, are much taller than Jimmer.

It's not a knock on Jimmer to be compared to Price or Gordon, but that is where I see him fall. He is not one of the all time greats. He might be as good as Curry as well, which is no shame, but he in no way shape or form should be compared to Maravich.

No matter what you think of Maravich, I think we can agree comparing Jimmer to him is a disservice to everyone.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Nobody falsely lists Mark Price on greatest NBA player ever lists, no movies are made about him, no books have been written, Price is increasingly forgotten each year, whereas the Maravich myth grows and gets embellished with each passing year.

Maravich IS wildly overrated. Price happens not to be. I never claimed that Price was better than Maravich. However, since you brought it up, I will say that the two are a helluva lot closer than you might think. Price was a far more efficient player, had higher shooting percentages--both from the field and from the free throw line, averaged more assists and committed fewer turnovers, he made fewer bad decisions with the ball, had only one fewer all star appearances than Maravich (5 vs. 4) and, oh yeah, Price was actually known to expend energy trying to guard his man on the defensive end.

In terms of what helps a team win, I think an argument could be made that Price was the more effective player. And that shows in the results: Price's Cav teams consistently won far more than they lost, he won a few playoff series, led the Cavs to the 92 Conference Finals. Maravich never won shit.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, while we're at it, Magic Johnson was also awful on defense and wildly overrated as a ballhandler (not as a passer but certainly as a dribbler).

And also, never won a title with fewer than 2 other Hall of Famers on the roster.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pistol Pete was a phenom not because he was white but because he could play. Jimmer Fredette is no Pete Maravich

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Next Ernie DiGregorio.

Draft saved Draft deleted