1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Maravich?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writestuff1, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I believe Small Town Guy owned the discussion above, but that's not going to stop Stoney. Look, Maravich didn't make any all-time stat lists because his career ended after 10 seasons, due in large part to his bad knees and his drinking issues. But at his career peak, he was regarded as one of the best by his peers. You can find any numbers of interviews (both video and print) that will tell you that. I believe that I'll trust Red Auerbach -- and any number of Hall of Famers who competed against Pete -- over Stoney on basketball matters. There's only one guy trying to revise history here.

And as for that phony race argument, get real. Basketball players -- both black and white -- have always been loved for their showmanship. You're trying to say that people would not have mythologized black players who were flashy? Have you heard of Connie Hawkins, Dr. J, and Earl Monroe?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The quality of college basketball is so bad, if Fredette had to play against the old Georgetown defenses and their ilk, he would be, at best, the seventh or eighth man off the bench.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's consensus on where Fredette will be drafted? A few mocks I've seen have him mid-to-later lottery.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jimmer is no better than Mark Price or Ben Gordon.

College hoops have just regressed so much that good players now look like great players.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would be amazed if the Knicks don't draft him if they had the chance. The same goes for Phoenix.

6. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

The intent of my original post was not to debate Pete Maravich's greatness or lack thereof. Having been said, growing up in Louisiana, Maravich was my basketball idol, so I admit to bias. Also, a few other points: someone like Magic Johnson was praised for his passing ability for someone who was 6-9. Still, he didn't come close to Maravich as a ball-handler. As to Pat Riley's criticism of Maravich, Riley's ego was such that it stuck in his craw that an individual talent like Maravich would garner such praise as compared to a team like Riley's Kentucky Wildcats. Riley was a very good player on an outstanding team. He was, at best, an average player in the NBA. Still, no one has answered by original query. Granted there will never be "another" Maravich, if someone came along today with the same skill set, would teams allow him to play that style for a full 48 minutes, or would he be asked to tone it down? Some have cited Maravich's turnovers. Would a team live with those turnovers for the sake of the rest of his game? One last point, Maravich had his share of turnovers, no doubt, but how many of those were because teammates couldn't handle his game? His passes were usually pin-point accurate. Countless times I saw him throw an under-handed pass the length of the court to a wide-open teammate who didn't have to break stride on his way to an easy layup.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My memories of Maravich are of him being a fantastic individual player, unbelievable ball handling and scoring. But there's so much more to basketball than that and that's why I believe he did not win much at LSU nor in the NBA. You can have all the flashy passes you want but do you make your teammates better as well? That 2 ft bounce pass to hit a guy flashing off a pick is worth just as much as the no-look cross court pass but sometimes guys don't get that. Frankly, its no fun most times playing with a ball hog.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If your criteria for judging a ballhandler is the ability to do jaw-droppingly impressive globetrotter type shit, then you might have a point.

But if your criteria for judging a ballhandler is who you'd rather have bringing the ball up the court against a pressing defense with the game on the line, then you're nuts if you'd rather that be Maravich over Magic.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'd say there are still some legitimately great talents in the game. It's not as barren as people constantly say. Guys like Walker, Derrick Williams, Harrison Barnes, Sullinger, Marcus Morris, Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones, etc. would have been stars in any era. Studs have been leaving early for the NBA for quite some time and yet the NBA is at its deepest level, talent-wise, in quite a while. Most of those players are coming through college still.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

IF I RAN THE nix i'd kill for this kid. i'd worry about his size for a two-guard but wouldn't much care if he's coming off the bench as an 'instant offense' kind of guy, raining down 3's. and the nix are in dire need of quality depth and a white face to promote with galinari gone.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well if Pete couldn't play defense nobody who tried to guard him did either since they got lit up for 25 or 30 every single night.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

is that supposed to be a knock? wasn't price a pretty good player? isn't gordon now considered effective in his role, too?

listen, if you're looking for jimmer to be an nba star, if that's your barometer, than i suppose he won't 'succeed.' but many players have excelled in the niche jimmer probably will be asked to fill, so why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted