1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Maravich?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writestuff1, Mar 24, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Speak for yourself.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sounds like he'd have a home in today's NBA.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Says the guy who wrote this explainer graf:

And yes, I know it's a message board posting, but ... you know, people in glass houses and all ...

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Maravich averaged 24.2 points, 4.2 rebounds and 5.4 assists (and 3.7 turnovers, although that only accounts for a few years as that stat is unavailable for much of his career) in the NBA. Hardly a 1-trick college pony and certainly not one-dimensional.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I had no idea Duke played tournament games in New Jersey that often.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Looked through the website and didn't see the story any longer.

My problem with the story was this. It needed two things: an explanation of what happened in the game and an explanation of the rule so that readers can understand why the call might have been questionable. The story contained neither of these items, and when you go 0-for-2 in pertinent facts, that doesn't get a passing grade from me.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That comment is beyond idiotic. Yahoo has a group of incredibly talented writers.

As far as the comparison is concerned, it's pretty stupid. It's like comparing every 6-foot-4 power forward who can rebound to Charles Barkley.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Or every white guy who can shoot to Larry Bird. Or if he's shorter, Pistol Pete.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Adam Morrison:Larry Bird

10. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

So wrong.

I didn't realize his dad coached him in the NBA, where he scored 40 or more points 35 times in a 10-year career. (His other NBA stats have already been noted.) If you think Pete was a one-trick pony, you either never saw him or have read anything about him. He's also one of the most amazing passers in basketball history. You could find out more if you stopped by the Hall of Fame. Or even checked out YouTube.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How was the book that came out about him in the last few years? I was listening to some Maravich-Fredette stuff on the radio this morning and thought I might look into buying it.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome. One of the best sports bios I've ever read. Kriegel is great.

Draft saved Draft deleted