1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Maravich?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writestuff1, Mar 24, 2011.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

With the NCAA basketball Southeast Regional being in New Orleans and featuring BYU's Jimmer Fredette, Yahoo Sports has done a column comparing Fredette and Pete Maravich. Both guys were big scorers and white, but I don't know if I'd necessarily compare Fredette to Maravich. In the clips I have seen, I think Ricky Rubio is the closest I've seen to a modern-day Maravich. My question is: Despite the fact people always say Maravich was ahead of his time, do you think a NBA team would actually allow someone to play Maravich's game? Sure, guys like Magic Johnson and others made some great passes, but even in what's considered a "players' league" would any team really let a guy handle the basketball, pass and shoot for a full 48 minutes the way Maravich did back in his day or would they demand he tone it down?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The next Maravich will happen when the NCAA drops the 3-point line and bars freshmen from playing.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

if rubio could score, perhaps. but he can't.

everyone looks for the 'next anybody.' it's stupid, weak-assed b.s.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yahoo Sports . . . any legitimacy of the discussion ends there.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They'd have to add a 6-point line for anyone to average 45 points a game in college again.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's pretty harsh. Yahoo has done a ton of good investigative work that nobody else has touched, and most of their columnists are excellent.

And no, I do not work for Yahoo, though I am all ears if they're hiring.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, not really sure what that comment is all about. Yahoo! does consistently great work.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Beat me to it. I was going to say, "are you kidding me".

With their investigative work they are more credible than ESPN or any other sports media outlet.

9. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Jimmer is no Pistol Pete. Case closed.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Go read today's story about the officiating question in last weekend's game between Syracuse and Marquette. Reads as though it was written by an eighth-grader. No way that would have seen the light of day if it had to go through me. It's not even close to being acceptable.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Personally I've grown weary of the "next Maravich" thing arising whenever a flashy white guard appears, particularly considering that Maravich is in reality THE most overrated player in basketball history: never won anything at any level, played zero defense, a turnover machine, and the only truly distinguishing feature from his record--his insane college scoring stats--were in large part the result of playing in a gimmicky run and gun offense that was designed by his coach/father entirely around the goal of showcasing his son and getting his son as many shots as humanly possible.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I took a quick look at the site and didn't see it but am curious to read it if you can link it.

And even if it's terrible, you're going to badmouth an entire site for one poor piece? I'm sure we've all had lousy work in our papers/whatnot that didn't diminish the work of anyone else on staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted