1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next in Line ... Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jul 2, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How can they say these things with a straight face?

Fewer journalists means less information to the public, on top of diminished morale in an overworked newsroom.

What the hell is attractive to an advertiser about a smaller newspaper with less information? What is attractive to a reader about less information, often in a smaller physical package, that costs more to purchase?

2. The JS' "contact us" Web page lists 25 staffers (which hasn't been updated to reflect the buyouts/layoffs), including editors but not copy eidtors or online staff. Assuming the whole non-clerk sports staff employs, say, 32 people, removing nine is about 30 percent of the staff. That seems brutal, but it looks like this is across the newsroom -- I heard the suburban staffs are being decimated, and when it's all said and done, part-timers will all but cease to exist at the JS.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Really sad news for good people at a good paper.

And can we please keep this thread from getting the golden sombrero of thread locking?

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm now hearing just under 20 total in sports are gone.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's insane. These aren't layoffs, this is a purge.

6. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

Today is the worst day of my professional career.
    I've read of mass layoffs and the like, but never experienced it until now. It's a horrible feeling to witness my friends lose their jobs in such large numbers.
    As the enormity of the situation settles in, even my worst enemy has earned my sympathy.
    All I can do is offer my prayers and prepare to raise a glass with them tonight. It truly was one of the great pleasures of my life to work with those let go and those remaining at the Journal Sentinel.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

My thoughts are with you, Larry. This sucks.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I echo the comments. This is a great paper despite the problems, and now I fear it'll become another casualty of someone wanting to stem the "losses".

9. ksimpson

ksimpson New Member

Larry. Auwe. I'm sorry. You are a good man. There will be better days. Lots of them.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

.[/i]

[​IMG]
    There's nothing more to say about Milwaukee. Really. I can't believe that they expect us to believe this crap.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mira

Mira Member

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2009/08/03/daily33.html

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the vine:

Unofficial tally in Sports at 17.

For those who want to send their best wishes or buy a round, they'll be at Wolski's starting around 9 p.m. Central tonight. Phone number is 414-276-8130.

Draft saved Draft deleted