1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next in Line ... Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This just sucks in every way. Good luck to those who worked so hard to serve my hometown. Like IJAG, a friend of mine is also among those who were asked to leave.

It's disheartening to see the paper I've always wanted to work for resort to this, but it's even sadder to know how typical it is across the board.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Still a pretty solid paper in light of everything going on, but ya... it still sucks to see the veteran names being tossed aside (even if it is with a nice buyout package). Sheesh.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Is that how it worked there? They ask you to leave, with the implication that you'll be forced out? They sure seem to have targeted senior journalists, based on the ages reported in that linked story.

If those folks went voluntarily because the severance package is best for those with long service, OK. But if they were being pushed out with an implied "or else," that really would stink. Those are some of the paper's most recognizable bylines to the demographic that is the paper's most loyal customer base. Let's annoy and severe a connection to our heaviest users, while going forward with staffers who maybe might appeal to the non-readers who don't buy the paper. Because, you know, they are cheaper for us to pay.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

A buddy of mine said three in sports took the buyout, but I don't remember the names.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I heard at least four, possibly up to six, including at least one in middle management.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Very sad news for all concerned. I spent a number of years in Wisconsin and I always thought it was a good paper.

I wonder how many unnecessary editors were asked to take buyouts.

My guess would be none.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Fuckers. :mad:

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sports tally up to 7 now, from what I'm hearing.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seven! Holy shit!

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Names?

11. Good Lord.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted