1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next in Line ... Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sounds like I might have liked working for/with you. Damn few bosses have their people's backs, especially nowadays.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was far from perfect but I'll stand strong on my record on that count. My EE told me when he promoted me that being an advocate for my people was the biggest part of my job and he had no problem with us standing up to him in order to do that. Others in the upper level weren't so kind about it but the EE was great. Not that he always agreed but you didn't have to fear saying anything to him.

No. 1 in the job description - helping the staff do their job, no matter what it takes.

3. Joe Williams

A rare EE then, too.

At this point, I'll just say, my thoughts are with any of the Milwaukeeans who end up out of doors from this. I'll leave any further Garry H. critiquing to those who are closer to the scene, no doubt dealing with this with a cold one at The Harp.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

OK. So they just had layoffs a couple of months ago. Botched it. And now they need to have layoffs again?
    Can't be good for morale.

5. Joe Williams

They sandwiched a Pulitzer prize in between and it meant absolutely nothing.

Except now they probably won't lay off that guy, at least.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Are there any interns in Milwaukee who will be blogging on this?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently, seniority will play a big role in who gets the axe. The newest hires will likely be the first to go unless people take the buyouts.

8. Layoffs are usually handled a lot differently at union papers.

If you don't have seniority in Milwaukee, you could be screwed.

9. Joe Williams

A union that doesn't protect those who have been members the longest -- seniority, in other words -- ain't worth squat, because those are the folks who have coughed up the most in dues over time.

That said, a union that does protect those who have been members the longest might not be worth squat anyway.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Word is they lost a tad over 20 in the newsroom, but sports didn't lose anyone.

11. Dr. Ted Nelson

Dr. Ted Nelson New Member

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There are some good people who lost their jobs today, including a friend of mine. I don't know how many in sports, but I know there will be a hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted