1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next in Line ... Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

As posted on the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Website:

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is a place that just had a round of buyouts less than six months ago...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jim Romenesko has the memo. Hell, he has every memo these days.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13453

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Ya know, that's just awesome. A buddy of mine found out about this memo on SportsJournalists.com, AND HE WORKS AT THE JS!
    Dickheads.
    Sure, it's a newspaper that provides the news. But how about informing your employees before sending out a memo to the general public.

5. Mizzougrad96

It's possible they sent out the memo to managers and one forwarded it to Romenesko before they sent it to everyone.

Regardless, this royally sucks. The paper may have the best NFL coverage in the country.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Even The Pipeline is in awe of the speed in which Romenesko gets things.
    We're not far behind, though.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

My guess is he was supposed to get the memo when he next showed up for work.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I have edited the memo down to highlight my favorite parts!

-- First, there's the classic rationale of "Everyone else is doing it, so we should do it, too." Don't tell me that this doesn't make it easier for the suits and bean-counters. Might even intrigue them.

-- Something about the wording of this -- ``All full-time employees are eligible'' -- makes it sound like it's an enhancement to the health benefits or the 401K plan, rather than THE END OF YOUR CAREER AT THE MILWAUKEE NEWSPAPER AND MAYBE IN JOURNALISM FOREVER! "Oh, gee, guess what, I'm eligible to walk into that gas chamber. Lucky me!"

-- The message isn't nearly as painful and difficult as that first month of bills after the buyout money runs out. And while the journos' work allegedly never has been better, can the ad salespeople, the newsroom leadership and the suits and bean-counters make the same claim? Someone in the newsroom at least won a Pulitzer this year. What grand vision or salvation plan, other than amputating healthy limbs and removing vital organs from the news operation, have the bosses cooked up lately?

Scumbags.

9. Mizzougrad96

Don't blame us, everybody is doing it...

10. 2muchcoffeeman

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find this reasoning and these two consecutive paragraphs ridiculously contradictory and incongruous?

How "successful" can it have been if business is bad they have to have the paper's second round of buyouts in six months?

12. Mizzougrad96

Anybody who reads one of these memos and expects them to make sense will likely have their head explode.

Draft saved Draft deleted