1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Food Network Star

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jun 17, 2009.

1. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Great show. I've made the same road (well, in our case, subway) trips with the lady in New York. Toasted ricotta gnocchi at Jane. Thank you, Danny Boome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I saw the pizza episode, and this place in Philly -- Osteria? -- looked amazing. So we decided to take a day trip. Quick three hour trip one way. Very easy.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wasn't that a teeny bopper song from a few years ago?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you are in Pittsburgh, you have to, and I mean have to, eat at the Dor-Stop in Dormont for breakfast. You need a Garmin to find it, though.

This place was off of a Guy reccommendation, and the pancakes prove there is a God.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

93---where is that place in Dormont? I saw the show, and I've never heard of it.

I figure you head up West Liberty Avenue, then what?

I'm pretty partial to JoJo's in the Strip and Pamela's.
    Is it really that good?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.dor-stoprestaurant.com/ You have to go through the Fort Pitt to get to it.

I think on the menu it said nothing is ever made from a can. Everything is fresh from scratch. You could even tell the apples were hand sliced.

I would say the pancakes tasted like cake, but I cannot remember having a cake to ever taste that good.

Me and a buddy split the apples and cinnamon pancakes and the everything on a plate egg dish.

Oh, those pancakes were so good.

Bring Splenda for your coffee, though.

7. dkbxt5

dkbxt5 New Member

I liked Jeffrey and he had potential, but this is why he isn't taking the network to new levels:

I don't want to sit there and watch them make cheeseburgers, but half the time I figure I have to fly 5,000 miles to find some the ingredients they're using.
    [/quote]

Jeffrey "The Ingredient Smuggler" relies on crazy ingredients that you would have to go to a specialty market for and I bet a lot of people aren't going to make a trip to some African or French grocery store to find that North African condiment he used. I guess it all depended on what the Food Network wanted. Did they want another women who made meals that you could serve to your family and that moms would watch, or did you want a niche guy who might get people to try different things?

As for the "stars" not becoming stars, it looks like they are signed on for six shows and most of the winners don't last longer than that. I mostly watch FN for non cooking shows, such as Chopped, Iron Chef, Ace of Cakes, etc, so I don't care if someone gets canned.

FYI, here is the first graph of Mellisa's bio:

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Jeffrey "The Ingredient Smuggler" relies on crazy ingredients that you would have to go to a specialty market for and I bet a lot of people aren't going to make a trip to some African or French grocery store to find that North African condiment he used. I guess it all depended on what the Food Network wanted. Did they want another women who made meals that you could serve to your family and that moms would watch, or did you want a niche guy who might get people to try different things?

As for the "stars" not becoming stars, it looks like they are signed on for six shows and most of the winners don't last longer than that. I mostly watch FN for non cooking shows, such as Chopped, Iron Chef, Ace of Cakes, etc, so I don't care if someone gets canned.

FYI, here is the first graph of Mellisa's bio:
    [/quote]
    Four people/10 bucks = Chef BoyArDee.

9. dkbxt5

dkbxt5 New Member

4-step chicken flavored ramen?

Draft saved Draft deleted