1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Food Network Star

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jeffrey is going to take the Food Network to new levels......

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I enjoy watching the show, and the challenges they undertake are daunting throughout. That said, I think it undermines the credibility of the contestants. After watching them serve barely cooked food, I really don't know that I trust them. I mean, where's the Tyler Florence or Rachael Ray blooper reel?

I also think Debbie will have some sort of Food Network presence, because I really don't think they have an Asian point of view outside of the Iron Chef.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I also think a few of the challenges are ridiculous. Some of the contestants have minimal culinary experience and they go ahead and give them a couple of hours to prepare a dinner for two dozen world-famous chefs who've done nothing but work at five-star places for the last 25 years. Who wants to try to serve a perfect meal to that group? I don't want to sit there and watch them make cheeseburgers, but half the time I figure I have to fly 5,000 miles to find some the ingredients they're using.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Has anyone who emerged from this show actually amounted to anything? I've always thought the "next star" thing was a giant screw job. Isn't Food Network uber-quick in pulling the plug on their shows?

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Guy Fieri is one of FN's most popular (and prolific) personalities. He was Next Food Network Star Season 2 IIRC.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fly, you recall correctly.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Aaron (forget the last name) currently has a show called Big Daddy's Kitchen. He was last year's winner.

Last year's runner-up has a show called Will Work For Food (kinda like Unwrapped, but he goes out and does a days work at different food type jobs).

8. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I watched the first season, and a gay couple that ran a catering business won, had a show for maybe a year (Something 'with the Hardy boys') and I haven't seen them on the channel since. Haven't seen any "teams" competing as one, either.

But for me, the show just doesn't get it done.

Bring on Top Chef! I think the premiere is Aug. 18, so get your DVRs ready.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The problem with the show's concept is that you shouldn't do it every year. The Food Network probably doesn't have the patience or money to fund a reality show then nurture a faceless spinoff such as "The Gourmet Next Door," which would need time to find a voice in an ever-growing crowd.

And now that most of the winners have flopped, why would I care who wins this year?

Then again, this is the network that took a concept like "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" and turned it into a series.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Saw that for the first time last night. And because of it, the wife and I are making a quick trip to Philly on Saturday. Damn Food Network.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just remember Kelsey from the season before this one. She did a local access cooking show in Provo, Utah where a big recipe was chicken marinated with Coke.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mmmmmm. Burp.

Draft saved Draft deleted