1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Food Network Star

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jun 17, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I love this show, even though I can't cook to save my life.
    Two of the contestants are already out, unfortunately the stay-at-home mom and the green freak are still there (the two worst so far, imo)

Anybody else watching this show? Who do you like, dislike, and who do you think can win?

I like the gay guy and the Korean woman. The black woman, Jameka, is pretty good too.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

It's the first time I've watched it. I agree with your assessment. I'm thinking the southern/korean woman wins it, although I enjoy the gay guy immensely and would definitely watch a show starring him.

The blonde mom makes me a little nuts, as does the nutritionist with the bug eyes.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I watched last week when the obvious cast-off was made. (Making green beans for a party like that was unexcusably lame.)

If you ask me which of these people I would actually sit down and watch, I think Jameka probably is the only one.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here.

Big fan of this show. I watched last season, so for the newbies to this show, count on EVERYONE'S flaws being exposed at one point or another, both in the kitchen and in front of the camera. Sure, the Korean woman is breezing so far, but it's very early.

I was surprised the tall, goofy guy who threw the blonde mom under the bus was shown the door. I thought for sure it'd be the bug-eyed health-freak. She stinks.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I watched the year the winner wound up being disqualified because he lied on his resume.

They chose a second winner, and I think she quit/was fired in fairly short order.

Kind of killed the concept for me.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

This year's version of the show is trying too much to be like Top Chef. I thought the show was different enough last year, even though it was the same concept of living in the same house and being a cooking competition. Two weeks in, we've gotten them working in teams, two challenges, winner of the first getting an advantage in the second, winners getting featured in magazines and extraordinary DRAMA.

I will probably keep watching, but I don't know of anyone's shows I'd watch so far. Last year, Adam was my preference out of the finalists, and his show stunk. The winner never impressed me so I have yet to watch his show.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Well...finale tonight. Who's it gonna be? Melissa or Jeff.

Personally I'd like to see both of them with a show.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Adam was on the year with the black guy (Aaron was his name I think).

Doesn't Adam have his own show, "Will Work For Food" ? I think I've seen that show more than the Big Daddy's House one of the winner.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the loser (won't say who won here to avoid spoilers) get their own show.

I'd guess in terms of watching both pilot episodes the right person probably won. But it was very close.

9. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

Melissa can get it.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The hour-long finale was dreadful. I won't sit down and watch a show done by either finalist; I thought the final vote could have gone either way.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I agree. Bobby Flay playing game show host was just bad.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Melissa grew on me through the show's run. As someone who just bought his first house and is doing more cooking now, I like her information. I think it applies to me much more than most hosts of any cooking show (except Barefoot Contessa, who I love).

I'll try out Melissa's show and hope to get something out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted