1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next ESPN ombud ... Don Ohlmeyer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If Daulerio's sources are correct, he will be ...

http://deadspin.com/5291710/espn-ombudsperson-of-significant-interest-don-ohlmeyer

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, goody. The guy who led the charge to rehabilite the image of one Orenthal James Simpson in October 1995 is going to critique how ESPN handles difficult cases involving the athletes who are their business partners and lifeblood. Remembering the piece he ordered up for "Dateline," I cannot wait for the journalistic holy water he will sprinkle, lending an air of truthiness to all it splashes.

Mr. Solomon and Ms. Schreiber, you did fine work, but it appears you were just a bit too honest.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is there any more useless job in America?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dunking coach for Albom?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ohlmeyer is a broadcasting legend - but the closest he ever came to journalism was firing Dennis Miller from Weekend Update on SNL.

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

it was norm mcdonald. and it was a mistake.

ohlmeyer hired dennis miller to be on MNF. and it was a mistake.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I think you mean Norm MacDonald

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hasn't it been demonstrated that the ombudsman has zero impact on the way ESPN does business?

9. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

an ombudsman at espn is like a kids urinal at a strip club. what's the point?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well then, yeah. My bad. I always thought an ombudsperson's job was intended to give the impression that the news organization cares about being open and transparent. I thought Schrieber did a great job, and maybe she didn't get ESPN to change its practices, but at least the Vince Dorias of the world had to defend what they are doing.

11. The only time I "hit" the ESPN website is to view the Ombudsman's column, which is often linked from here.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was MacDonald. And Ohlmeyer fired him largely because of all the O.J. jokes.

And now we're back to the first reply of the thread ...

Draft saved Draft deleted