1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEXT! Charlotte's turn to offer buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 6, 2008.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So what constitutes a necessary, revenue-producing position? I assume she means anything related to editorial, which is evidently becoming more unnecessary and far from productive in the eyes of more and more publishers each day.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah, I doubt Poole gets an offer (but I can see the O cutting back to just one person on NASCAR coverage, shifting Jim Utter over to handle UNC Charlotte full time) ... but there are a few people in the sports department who have 20-plus years there that I can see getting such an offer -- Stan Olsen, David Scott, Rick Bonnell, Ron Jr. and Tom Sorenson on the writing side, and guys such as Harry Pickett and Rick Barger on the desk side ... it wouldn't surprise me to hear one or two of those guys asked ...

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This might be the first time corporate-speak makes sense.

"To make sure we get to next year with our jobs, we need to cut staff, because that's the easiest way to cut costs."

Every time a thread like this comes up, we note the coporate heads think to cut people when seeking to cut costs. When there's a thread about a newspaper restricting travel, we note the corporate heads think to cut our travel when seeking to cut costs. Coming up with ways to save their jobs for tomorrow and maybe the next day is a lot easier for them than trying to come up with ways to bring back newspapers.

So no, Moddy. It never ends.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I know it's not as sexy, but a McClatchy paper dropping customer service people (13 in Charlotte) is becoming one of the first things each of them are doing.
    Those people are probably better off getting a gig in something else -- granted, they won't get 29 percent discount on their newspaper anymore.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Was that Yasinskas?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Heard from a source in the newsroom (SUCK IT MODDY PIPELINE!) that sports is exempt. Already understaffed.

So that's good, at least for those I know.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Huh?

Didn't know it was a competition. We're trying to get info about our business out here.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Lord. It was a joke.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Competitive little bitch, isn't she.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Forgive moddy. The earthquake's got him a little punchy ... (i keed, i keed)

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. Good lord, please don't let The State be next.

Draft saved Draft deleted