1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEXT! Charlotte's turn to offer buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 6, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord. Does it ever end?

http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/611584.html

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know someone who works there. Hope she comes out OK.

I wonder if David Poole was offered one.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Damn, I know quite a few someones who work there. Hope they're OK.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If David Poole were to take the buyout, I'll bet he would not remain on the sideline too long.

That almost seems like the perfect storm for someone who has built a network big enough to tap into. Check with those sources, maybe line up a job, take the buyout and transition into a new Web position doing pretty much the same thing.

Best of luck to those in Charlotte.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You could easily substitute "Ron Green Jr." for "David Poole" and maintain the accuracy of this post. If this trend of buyouts continues, I fully expect many of the best and brightest to do exactly what you're suggesting: take the buyout for a little walking around money and jump to the Web.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Completely true on Poole... I'm guessing it wouldn't be as easy on most of the others though, which is usually how these work. If you're a superstar like JA Adande or Jackie Mac, you get picked up immediately. If you're not, you're fucked...

7. Mizzougrad96

Unless I'm mistaken, Charlotte never replaced its NFL writer who bolted for ESPN either...

8. joe

joe Active Member

"But for the long-term future of the company," she added, "it is important that we respond to current market conditions."

Umm, huh?

9. Mizzougrad96

Current market condition: Letting go of 25 percent of staff...

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

"For the long-term success of the company, we'd like to make an increasingly inferior product," she meant.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes and no, Mizzou. Mike Persinger simply shifted Charles Chandler back over to the Panthers beat to work along with Stan Olson.

I know a person there pretty well, and hope this doesn't completely destroy what the department as a whole has accomplished. Given that Raleigh was seeking the same last week, this doesn't come as a surprise. Sadly ...

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No way they let Poole even sniff a buyout. I think. Though maybe ditching daily deadlines and sticking to his Sirius radio and TV work would be tempting.

Draft saved Draft deleted