1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next assignment: D.C., L.A., or Chicago: Where would you live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Where would you live

1. D.C.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Chicago

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. L.A.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

No, Petros is from San Pedro/Palos Verdes, the next town north.

Hey Songbird, how about this story of LB baseball.
    My junior year at Santa Monica in 1969, we went down to play Millikan, defending CIF champ. Their field was big so the varsity game was in one corner and the JV game was in the opposite corner; no fences, the center fields nearly connected. I was on the JVs. Our varsity catcher was an All-CIF linebacker and was a crazy mo-fo. From the JV game, we kept getting glimpses of what was happening in the varsity game. All of a sudden, a Millikan runner gets thrown out at home on a close play and, sure enough, there's a brawl, both benches emptied. One of our guys in the JV game says, "Coach, are we supposed to go fight them?" Uh, no. So we hear one of their JV guys say, "He's gonna kick his ass." We said, "Don't think so." They said, "Our guy is an all-league linebacker." We said, "Our guy is an All-CIF linebacker who is crazier than shit." High school memories.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

LA/LB would be my choice if the job paid enough to really live there and enjoy it. So much to do, so many things near enough to visit, love the whole idea. It (LA) is the one place I have always told myself I could live if I ever moved from my current hovel.

Chicago is fun to visit. DC is filled with our money.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's 600 feet to center lol. So who won the fight, your game, and how many hits did you have that day?

TBF, if you do choose Long Beach, try to find a place in Belmont Shore.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So, the assignment is really not a job. It's a masters program. The schools Id chose from are Georgetown, DePaul, and Cal Long Beach. Boston University has a good one, too. So, it would be from fall 17 to spring 19. It's basically a school of choice masters in public administration with a concentration in health emergency management. I know the schools really aren't equal, but I feel my scores and resume would help get me there.

I just wanted some feedback on the towns, and your gut feelings about actually living there. I appreciate all the info.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aside from the ungodly traffic on M Street, I love going into Georgetown. I don't get there nearly enough. Probably because of the ungodly traffic jam on M Street. Otherwise, Georgetown is great. No Metro stop there, though, so that might be worth considering as well.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I've only been to DC once and my only SoCal exposure was Orange County last year. That said I've only been to Chicago 6-7 times for no longer stay than three days, and it wins in my book. Weather wise I like seasons (including winter), and it has all the culture you could ask for. And it's a beach town every summer.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Varsity won the fight but lost the game. I think it was 2-1. Our JVs won, don't remember the score. Me: DNP-CD.

Songbird likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

chitown: who has that bacon bomb thing? If I lived near that, I would croak.

Georgetown would be the easy choice. Really like Martin's Tavern.

10. three_bags_full

Yeah, Georgetown would certainly be awesome. It's probably the best option for me in the long run, as my follow-on utilization would likely be at the Pentagon or the Surgeon General's staff.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a quiz I heard recently. I hope I don't screw this up - name the eight Federal government services/agencies that have military ranks. EDIT: Actually only seven now. One I was thinking of transformed into a current one. And a hint for anyone trying to look this up: Uniformed Services is probably the term I was trying to remember.

12. three_bags_full

Pfft. I couldn't begin to do that.

Inspector General
    Surgeon General (Department of Health and Human Services)
    General Counsel
    Attorney General

That's all I got.

Draft saved Draft deleted