1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next assignment: D.C., L.A., or Chicago: Where would you live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Where would you live

1. D.C.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Chicago

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. L.A.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Chicago winters aren't all that worse than any other northern city. I wish I stayed there.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'd go for D.C., especially if it's short term. Everybody should live there and be able to explore it once.

I'm afraid if I moved to Cali, I'd never want to come back.

Chicago= no can do. I don't do winter in April.

Tweener and TigerVols like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I grew up in the D.C. area and always wondered what it would have been like to actually live in the city. The D.C. suburbs are pure hell, though.

Tweener, Lugnuts and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A few years ago I might have said DC, but traffic is miserable and it sounds like these days the Metro isn't any better option. There have been some fairly brutal blizzards there in recent memory too, so no real guarantee the winter is going to be any better than Chicago.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd bet eleventy billion dollars that Chicago, both the city and its citizens, is much better at handling snow and winter than DC is.

Of course, as long as you don't curl up in a fetal position and cry, you handle snow better than most people in and around DC.

wicked, Lugnuts, Dyno and 2 others like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I love L.A. and have the most experience of that location. It really is a great city, in the truest sense of that word.

One edit I'd like to add: When I say that, I'm speaking of the city of downtown Los Angeles, proper. Long Beach is a city, but it's not really L.A., and it's just a city, and not a very notable one, either. Sure, it's close to the beach, but, because the beach is city-side and city-surrounded, it just feels like a dirty beach, not a beautiful one. Sometimes, you might not be able to tell fog from smog, and often, you can't even tell how close you are to the beach just because everything around it is so industrial.

Perhaps because of I already know and have experienced L.A., much as I learned to appreciate it, my vote would be for D.C., just because it would be a change of pace for me, a more interesting and historical place than the others, and a place always worth seeing/experiencing.

To me, Chicago is interesting in its vibe and mix of environments. Ultimately, though, it's a place I'd visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've never been to any of them.
    Having said that, being I'm a vagina when it comes to weather, I'd say LA.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Not a very notable one" ... lol

TigerVols likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

DC -- First in war, first in peace, last in the American League.
    Chi -- Eighty-five percent of the fuckin’ world’s working. The other fifteen come out here. A fuckin’ playground for the cocksuckers.
    LB -- Claims Bob Lemon and the Burroughs family and Poly High, the gateway to the NFL.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

How long is the assignment?

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Spent three years living near D.C. Went into the city three times. Chicago is an interesting city, and the food is fucking great, but it's not what it once was.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Best HS baseball in the country with the Moore League and those doubleheaders at Blair Field.

And a few other notables ...

List of people from Long Beach, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draft saved Draft deleted