1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newton (N.C.) Observer News Enterprise, sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I believe this is a M-F PM operation. One person show, extremely low pay. Probably best for someone right out of college. As for credentials to the Panthers and Bobcats, I'd have to see it to believe it. Presp are decent.

Are you a sports reporter ready to take your career to the next level? If so, The Observer News Enterprise has the job for you. Situated in the Hickory Metro of Western North Carolina, The O-N-E covers for six high schools that produce state title contenders in every sport from football and basketball to soccer, volleyball and baseball. Meanwhile, The O-N-E maintains press credentials for the NFL's Carolina Panthers, the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats and minor league baseball's Hickory Crawdads. We're even situated close to the birthplace of stock car racing, so sports beats include plenty of news from NASCAR and Dodge series racing. Add a taste of outdoors coverage and recreation sports, and the O-N-E's sports recipe is perfect for any sports fanatic.You could be the person reporting on the exciting happenings from these sports beats.

Qualified candidates will be adept at QuarkExpress and Adobe Photoshop, and possess the ability to capture great sports photos. Creativity and a positive attitude are essential. If you're looking for an exciting job - this is it. Email resumes to onepublisher@charter.net, or apply online. No phone calls please. Candidates will be contacted.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Any paper that doesn't have its own Web site and own e-mail domain in this day and age ...

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I remember seeing this paper before and talking to their one-man army. I do think they get to the Panthers every so often. It's a nice, if country, part of the world, though I'm a little surprised the Hickory area can support two dailies (there's plenty of high school and community overlap). But pay is pretty bad, even by the low standards of the N.C. foothills.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My very first thought.

"Please email clips, resume and a cover letter to iliketopublishthenewspaper@gmail.com."

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In fairness to the O-N-E (that's how they refer to themselves in the bylines, because there's some much drama in the O-N-E, it's kinda hard being Snoop D-O-double-G), they do in fact have a website. And here it is! http://www1.observernewsonline.com/

Not sure why they don't rate their own e-mail names, but that's just the way it is.

I'd put in because I have family in the area, but I've heard not too flattering things about them, and a one-man army at a daily does not sound particularly sexy.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Run. Fast. Now.

One-man operation. Six high schools. No resources, and they act scared to death of The Daily Record located in Hickory, also in Catawba County. Pay is awful, which wouldn't be so disgusting if the publisher - at least the one I met years ago - didn't have three road motorbikes sitting the hallway leading to his office and a set of golf clubs in the office that probably cost more than my car. Uh, pass ...

If they're going to put someone in that situation, at least let the poor person put "sports editor" down as a title.

Passes to the Panthers and Bobcats? Not buying it ... if I'm wrong, good. But I'll bet any coverage outside the hallowed grounds of Catawba County is "your time and your dime."

In a word, avoid.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So, who edits the section?

8. Sam Mills 51

Good question. Do the ME and SE edit one another? Boone has had that office running so lean for years that the question never dawns on them.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sam, the publisher they have now is the former editor and he's an OK guy. He about offered me that job over the telephone four years ago. When I brought up the subject of money, well, ouch. At that time, it paid $20,500 a year. I swear. I told him I had to make a living and that he needed to get someone right out of college.

10. Sam Mills 51

:eek:

Then again, I'm not surprised at all. Cheap people and they wonder why they'll never have a chance against The Daily Record in Hickory? Media General and Chris Hobbs should have no trouble holding the O-N-E at bay ...

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Which is a shame, because I like the area just fine. But it's not much of a job, unfortunately. On the other hand, at least they're hiring, which a lot of papers in North Carolina don't seem to do these days.

12. Sam Mills 51

MM, it really is neat area. I liked it and another couple of places in the region I had the privilege to see over the years.

But the reason they're hiring is because they have to. It's a one-man gang, and they don't have anyone else to keep it afloat. This isn't a six-person desk making do with five; it's a one-person that is - or soon will be - empty. Trust me ... Boone isn't into making anything comfy except its board and its publishers.

Draft saved Draft deleted