1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newton (Iowa) Daily News, sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Sep 21, 2007.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=830479

Company: News Printing Company
    Position: Seeking Energetic Sports Writer for localschools, local IRL and NASCAR sanctioned races
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: October 26, 2007
    Job ID: 830479

Description:
    The Newton Daily News, a five-day daily, is seeking a full-time sports writer to join its staff and maintain its tradition of award-winning local sports coverage. The successful candidate should have pagination and photography skills, along with the ability to write crisp copy in the coverage of five high schools in the paper's central Iowa coverage area and the $70 million Iowa Speedway with IRL and NASCAR sanctioned races. We offer a great working environment. Must have a valid driver's license and reliable, insured transportation. Mandatory pre-employment drug screen and background check. We offer competitive wages and Shaw Newspaper benefits. EEO

Contact: Andy Karr, Editor, Newton Daily News Company, P O Box 967, Newton, Iowa 50208; Phone: 641-792-3121 Ext 434; E-mail: akarr@shawnews.com; or Fax: 641-792-5505.

Thoughts?

2. NX

NX Member

I don't have much about this place, only that it's a typical small daily with a one-man sports desk, at least it used to be. Don't know if that has changed. Knew a guy who worked there for a little while - this was before the track was built - then ran screaming because he was tired of being worked into the ground. He now does sports for three weeklies and is much happier.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is Newton near Sioux Falls, home of Shagnasties?

4. NX

NX Member

It's probably a five-hour drive during the spring, summer and fall. Des Moines is close. ISU also. Lots of partying there. But I know nothing about a Shagnasties, other than I've heard there's one near the UNI campus in Cedar Falls, which is not close to this job. Sorry to disappoint.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cedar Falls. That's what I meant. The commercials for Shagnasties (at least in 1994) were funny.

6. NX

NX Member

My wife had a single friend who would always try to drag her there just after my wife and I got married. The friend never wanted me "tagging along" so my wife never went, at least not those times. Never saw these commercials you speak of. If you were the president of the Shagnasties fan club, the drive is probably doable from Newton - 'bout two hours or so.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Correction: it's called Shagnasty's. Shag's still around, but if you ever get back to CF, check out Beck's. It's a nice place to eat and watch the games.

Newton is about 40 miles east of Des Moines, the Iowa Speedway is south of town, Iowa City is about 75 minutes to the east. It's a nice town, though Maytag pulled up stakes and spilt town. Newton High is a beat you may end up enjoying because they are the big thing in town during the fall with the football team. They moved down a class due to Maytag and families leaving in droves, but it's fun to see them take the field at Lynn Field.

There is plenty of opportunities around Newton to cover sports, with Iowa and ISU, UNI up in CF, and the Speedway.

Draft saved Draft deleted